News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Update 1.10 and then silence..?

Started by Masterstroggo, July 20, 2010, 09:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masterstroggo

This is my first post here at the 2box forum, but I've been following the discussions for a while. I've been reading up on all critique on 2box drumit 5, but after the last software update I haven't seen very much complaints about the drumkit. Could it be that the software update actually fixed alot of problems like cross-triggering etc.. ? What's the verdict about the update, did it solve any problems? How are all the new functions and improvements working?

And also, without being biased (yeah, I know this forum is about 2box), can anyone with experience with both TD-9KX and the 2box tell me which one you would have chosen if you had to choose between only one of them?

Cheers  :rock:/William

puttenvr

Yes, the software update works fine and gave us some nice extras like the metronome and 8 outputs
The bell/ride triggering has been improved a lot, but (to be honest) still is not perfect
Perhaps further software improvements, or a new cymbal pad will do the job

Compared to a Roland td-9 (or any Roland kit) the sounds, sensitivity and dynamics are much better on the 2Box. At this moment I can't recall any Roland pros.

Masterstroggo

I'll just copy an e-mail I recieved from another user, (hope it's ok Evy?)

TD9 vs. 2Box

Hey there!
Just thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth.  I used to own a TD9 KX and am now getting a 2box next month, which I have already tried.
There is no comparison.  The 2Box simply has the most realistic sounds out there.  The TD9 is ok, but it still costs more than the 2Box.  Roland does some great stuff, ie: hardware/ease of use and many of their sounds are decent.  But to me the 2Box is in another league.  I know the company is still working out the kinks but for pure playability the 2Box wins it hands down.  It's the closest thing to real drums IMO.  The TD 9 can use other sounds from vexpressions(something I never did) which are supposed to be pretty good.  On the other hand the 2Box pads feel better and are bigger.  The hardware is proprietary which is kind of a problem.  And getting Roland parts will be way easier.  If I closed my eyes and someone was playing the 2Box maple kit I would swear it was real...ya it's that good!

Simpan

I haven't used my 2Box in several months due to my neighbours moving out and my parents traveling a lot which has allowed me to use my acoustic kit (and it's been great fun getting to know it again, been almost a year since last time).

However, I'm going to use the 2Box at a wedding since I hate playing REALLY soft or with brushes on acoustic. I was wondering if I dare update to 1.10? I don't want to run in to any problems and I've got very little time to try it out before the wedding. Thanks for any input.

puttenvr

The update probably won't do any harm, but if you want to play (on) safe: wait with it
The new software doesn''t have advantages regarding a wedding

rythm

The update improve the drums but won´t get you married (think that one´s in 1.30)  ;D

HM

Quote from: Simpan on August 10, 2010, 01:47:55 PM
I'm going to use the 2Box at a wedding since I hate playing REALLY soft or with brushes on acoustic. I was wondering if I dare update to 1.10? I don't want to run in to any problems and I've got very little time to try it out before the wedding. Thanks for any input.

I recommend updating to 1.10 because that makes the ride cymbal much easier to play.

roel

Quote from: HM on August 10, 2010, 07:49:18 PM
I recommend updating to 1.10 because that makes the ride cymbal much easier to play.

Yes thats right it plays better after the update.

fishmonkey

you can keep multiple versions of the firmware on the module too. to be able to choose the default version to load, you press the OS button on the splash page that appears just after you power up.

BUT because the 1.10 DrumIt.dkit files are not backwards compatible, if you want to be able to revert to the previous OS, you also need to use a computer to make a copy of the existing DrumIt.dkit file before you update.

hwasser

Also the new padtype for the kick (KICK2 which now is standard) helps eliminate doubletriggering quite good.

madmanmafimardi

this is nice, to see and realize, that Roland or any other E-drum have to copy 2box to get going again.
There is no reason think of roland yammy etc, as a useful tool anymore.

good work Bengt and Folks, and of course 2box users for feedback.

Remi

Can somebody tell me how to move the kits in kit program.
I don't get the COPY and MOVE commands on my display.

I think I miss something (and it's not OS 1.10)

fishmonkey

Quote from: Remi on August 12, 2010, 09:35:37 PM
Can somebody tell me how to move the kits in kit program.
I don't get the COPY and MOVE commands on my display.

I think I miss something (and it's not OS 1.10)

to do this on the module itself, first press the Save button on the PROG page.

then turn the bottom left dial to choose the destination program number. once you do this, Copy and Move functions will appear...

if you want to do more than a little rearranging, i would use the software kit editor instead.

Remi

Thanks Fishmonkey,

I knew I miissed a simple step ;D

Simpan

I just updated. There have been some major improvements this time around. I especially like the new feature that makes me able to turn of the alternating samples so that I can use things like the "Dance Kick" or whatever it's called without it sounding strange. Not sure what I think of the new bell. I kind of miss being able to put in a soft hit, 'cause I had a ride that was working quite well. I'm however relieved that no matter how hard I bash the top of a cymbal, I don't trigger the bell (I was in at 2Box several months ago when this was in beta, and that was a problem back then). They did nail that part.

But as I said, major improvements. I'm just a little lost in all of the new menus and stuff xD. Good work 2Box!