Can I still Use VST's Via USB After Installing The SD Storage Expansion Mod?

Started by nohumanape, February 26, 2019, 06:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nohumanape

I've heard that I won't be able to connect the DrumIt3 to my computer via USB after the mod. But is that only relating to moving data TO the module via the Editing software? Will the USB still work for accessing my VST's on my PC?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just want to get things cleared up before actually start installing the mod.

welshsteve

No you won't be able to use USB, in fact, it's strongly recommended you don't even try. But the beauty with the SD card mod is that you don't need the module you do any edits and file transfers. Just the SD card. So if your computer doesn't have an SD card reader, you'll need one. But they're cheap anyway. The other bonus is that data transfer speeds are way faster than USB.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

nohumanape

But what if I want to record through the VST as an instrument into Protools? If I go through USB, I can just use the instrument Out channels within Addictive Drums 2 to send independent tracks to Protools. But if I'm going through the Module, then I would have to actually run the 6-8 (which the DrumIt3 doesn't even have) Outs and need the same Inputs on my interface (which I don't have right now).

Is there a way to still interact with a VST via PC, with the Mod? Or should I just not perform the mod?

welshsteve

The USB on the drumit5 and 5 doesn't transmit midi. To interact with a VST in any DAW you will have to use the Midi out into an interface (with some learning and mapping of notes too)

You can get just a Midi to USB interface, they're a lot cheaper than audio interface.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

nohumanape

Quote from: welshsteve on February 26, 2019, 08:56:22 PM
The USB on the drumit5 and 5 doesn't transmit midi. To interact with a VST in any DAW you will have to use the Midi out into an interface (with some learning and mapping of notes too)

You can get just a Midi to USB interface, they're a lot cheaper than audio interface.
But it does allow you to control the VST, right? I feel like I've watched a ton of videos explain how to control your VST via a single USB cable.

Jman

Quote from: nohumanape on February 26, 2019, 09:39:59 PM
But it does allow you to control the VST, right? I feel like I've watched a ton of videos explain how to control your VST via a single USB cable.
NO, the USB on the 2Box modules will not do anything to trigger or control VSTs as welshsteve stated earlier. You would run MIDI out of the 2Box module and either MIDI into your computer sound card, or use a MIDI to USB adapter to run to your computer/daw.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

nohumanape

Quote from: Jman on February 27, 2019, 01:55:26 AM
NO, the USB on the 2Box modules will not do anything to trigger or control VSTs as welshsteve stated earlier. You would run MIDI out of the 2Box module and either MIDI into your computer sound card, or use a MIDI to USB adapter to run to your computer/daw.
Interesting. Is this something unique to 2Box? Or have I just been interpreting things incorrectly in regards to Roland Module videos I've been watching?