News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hi Hat test dsnd transitions not lineair

Started by mvdput, February 24, 2019, 09:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvdput

I extracted the original pcb from the original hi hat and mounted it below my footboard and combined it with my low volume hi hat.
While playing I find that the hi hat sensitivity and transitions doesn’t feel linear.
I used 2 different magnets, a strong one and a normal one and different distances from the magnet to the pcb.
I downloaded the hi hat test dand from an old topic http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=2000.0 and noticed that the different transitions are not equally divided over the total range from open to close.
Going from close to open does trigger zones 10 to 5 quite fast and the remaining transitions are spread over the rest of the range.
For example; zones 10 to 5 are triggered within about 5-6mm of opening the cymbal, while the others 5 (6 to 1)  are spread over  about 20mm.

As I said I did try different magnets and different heights and different open/close widths.

Is this normal behavior or has it to do with my diy setup not being correct?

ANGR77

Hi!

You can try to set the sens and curve for the pedal on the hset page.

Test to set the sens to -4 or -6 and the curve to neg1 or neg2....i am always doing this to get the hh pedal to react in more slow and in a wider range.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Muttley

The hall sensor on the PCB is polarity sensitive. Did you try mounting the magnets both ways along with your other tests?

mvdput

Quote from: ANGR77 on February 24, 2019, 11:03:29 PM
Hi!

You can try to set the sens and curve for the pedal on the hset page.

Test to set the sens to -4 or -6 and the curve to neg1 or neg2....i am always doing this to get the hh pedal to react in more slow and in a wider range.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

I changed the sens and curve this morning but that doesn't seem to make a lot difference.

But I was thinking about my current setup and I have a magnet of which I don't know the strength, only that it has a pull-force of 7Kg which probably converts to N42 of something. But I read that others use a magnet type N42 to N48. Also my magnet has a hole in the middle of +/- 5mm to mount it on a bolt. Maybe that also affects the magnetic signal when the magnet moves up and down since it is not going up and down in a straight line relative to the hall sensor.
Maybe this doesn't make sense at all but to be one the safe side I am going to order a new N45 or N48 magnet without any hole in the middle.

Quote from: Muttley on February 25, 2019, 02:00:59 AM
The hall sensor on the PCB is polarity sensitive. Did you try mounting the magnets both ways along with your other tests?

I did see the polarity during my testing. When the polarity is wrong, the calibration page displays a "Reverse" signal symbol and it does calibrate but I am not able to get edge-sounds when the magnet polarity is wrong.

ANGR77

Ok.

Just a note...if not getting the edge sound...the pedal ampere (mA) range is out of scoop. Edge and pedal are tied together on the same connections.

You could maybe get some ideas about the magnet if studying the Hall effect circuit which is used ... https://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Magnetic-Linear-And-Angular-Position-Sensor-ICs/Linear-Position-Sensor-ICs/A1391-2-3-5.aspx

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com