News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Power Fried

Started by robcod, February 13, 2019, 12:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robcod

So my D5 was making a little smell like electricity. Turns out myoriginal power supply had gone bad but I had no idea. My unit was fried and would not power on. I purchase a new AC adapter and it just flashed on an quit. That's when I started  emailing the USA distributor and after some time they decided they can't fix it and to send it to Germany. I filled out all the paperwork and said goodbye to my D5 only to get a note a month later saying that customs had held my unit and will not let it go any further. A month later I get the unit back and get some instructions on pulling capacitors for the power and replacing. So I gat a new soldering kit with the fine tip and went to work. WALLA, I have power... but no sound. Replace the two capacitors that regulate the volume with no success. I only get a very faint signal through headphones even when cranked to the max. 2box has let me know that they can't help me any further and they are sorry that the unit failed. I am so disappointed after seeing other posts about power supply problems. I replaced the D5 with the D3 almost as soon as I died as I play the unit in a band. Now I wish I had strayed from 2box and picked up something else. I don't love the D3 and feel I could have found something else to be happy with (not roland)

drumsonly2002

That is very disappointing.  I use a drumit 5 live also. Had a ddrum 4 go down during a gig. Had a backup unit (have 3 x ddrum 4 units), and finished the show. Had 2 x ddrum4 units go down thus only one remaining unit working.  Lost faith in buying used ddrum 4 modules. After that bought the drumit 5. Use the remaining working ddrum 4 se as a back up. Going to order an extra power supply for the drumit 5.

Once bitten twice shy. I prefer electronics sound wise verses acoustic drums, especially in smaller venues. Thinking of getting a Pearl Mimic Pro but in Canada, they are $3450.00 taxes in. A drumit module is around $1500.00 taxes in.

Did the bad power supply cause the caps to fail? The old ddrum modules were really well built and sound great but when the electronics get old they die. I actually prefer the ddrum 4 over the drumit, but it may be more nostalgia verses logic.

I refuse to buy Roland and find Yamaha lacking in the layering / dynamics as I own a DTXtreme 2 and prefer the ddrum and drumit 5 over it soundwise and dynamic wise. I prefer Yamaha over Roland though. 2 Box got them both beat IMHO.

I am phobic about module failure and have a back up module just in case. Acoustic drums would solve that problem, but prefer the sonic fidelity of e drums. 

ANGR77

Hi!

I am sorry to hear about your 2box experince/problems. A question - were you satisfied with the Five before it burned? What is your opinion about the disadvantages with the Three compared to Five?  (I have both and I really like the Three better and better)

Just to get the scenario right also...did you send it to Germany for a month...and did not get it repaired...instead you got a note of replacing some capacitors...? Does not sound like the 2box company I know...

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

nocturnodrummer

Yeah, when my hi hat PCB failed they sent me a new one free of charge from Sweden via air mail. It took only few days, it was  super fast. It was way past my warranty period. Maybe contact 2box directly and ommit the Germany route.

edtc

how old is your module and did you buy it second hand ?

robcod

I purchased my module brand new about 4 years ago. I did send it to Germany and it took a month plus to get it back. Customs would not let it into the country for some reason and sent it back. Support has been sending me ideas to try and repair. I actually have it powering up again but the sound is real faint. It actually gets a little louder when I re-install my 32 gig mod but nothing close to usable. They just said they are out of ideas and nobody has any parts. They also told me a new version is going to be released soon like that is supposed to be good news.

As for the D3 the hihat configuration often get screwed up with my VH-11 sometimes staying open all the time, sometimes requiring a foot stop to reset. I felt I had more overall control in my D5 with more sounds to use out of the box. My SDSE software from years ago just never worked out for me real well. I kept making kits and they would end up blank.

I just want to plug in my kit to whatever pad configuration I am using (I have 3 kits I lug the brain to for rehearsal) and have my presets work so well that I can gig with it without something screwing up. Hi hats, ride bell/bow, snare ghost notes, etc.

edtc

what type of hihat did you use when you played the D5 ...?   

robcod

vh-11, I have a jman box and zourman. I wen the Gen 16 route for a while but they are the silver nickel ones and always sound like trash, they are triggered now but still use the vh-11

edtc

i know it would be better not to have issues with the VH11 and the D3 ...

Maybe you should try the zourman box with the D3 ..?

ANGR77

Hi!

Good advice! You can try to use my box on the Three and see if running it in 2box hh mode - connected to the hh A input and see if this improves the hh handling. I have also experienced this open hh state especially when changing sounds on Three. Then it needs a “pedal foot reset”...I wonder if this disappears if running the hh in 2box mode on Three using my box...I have to try this. :-) Opportunities for Zourman...

Regarding your experience with 2box in Germany...I am guessing the module got stuck at the customs because they wanted to get VAT or some extra fees to release it. They probably tried to get that fee from 2box in Germany...which did not pay it. It is very important to mark the package “repair” to not fall into this trap when sending to Europe.

Which capacitors blow on your five module? Was it the c173 and c174? Or was it the C81 or C98?

If it was the later ones...the headphone amp is definitely affected...meaning that you could have decent signal on audio out 1-6.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

robcod

c49 and c41. Also c44 that gave me y power back. Not sure about the ones you mentioned maybe I will change them too

ANGR77

Aha...

I see where these are located...relax about the ones I mentioned earlier...the ones you changed are related to the 18V input which is feeding, 5V, 3.3. I would check c47; c48; c40;  c35; c38; c34:c39; c213; c45...

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

ANGR77

Quote from: ANGR77 on February 17, 2019, 06:50:58 AM
Hi!

Good advice! You can try to use my box on the Three and see if running it in 2box hh mode - connected to the hh A input and see if this improves the hh handling. I have also experienced this open hh state especially when changing sounds on Three. Then it needs a “pedal foot reset”...I wonder if this disappears if running the hh in 2box mode on Three using my box...I have to try this. :-) Opportunities for Zourman...

Hmm...I tried the Three with my VH-11 hh...both in the new universal trigger mode...(DEF) where hh+ctrl are connected directly to the Three versus...going through my conversion module and using it in 2box hh mode...

I think in my tests that I get better feeling by going through my box...(oops, please never trust a manufacturer!!!)

In my tests...I get a better results when playing near fully closed hh and the hh does not open so quickly when opening hh pedal smooth a bit. (This could of course be a tweaking thing in universal trigger mode)

The issue with the open hh sound when changing banks...disappeared when using my conversion module.

Robcod, tryit yourself and tell me what you think.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

robcod

I did try the box. First I have a kit bank that the hi hat is always open. I can see it doing its thing in calibration but the pedal never changes sounds but it does change values. I plugged in the box and changed to 2boxhh with no difference. As for the box changing things on a working kit bank it did make the HH tighter but did not open as far when raising the pedal. All things I could tweek maybe but I can really mess things up playing with POFF and PFact.

ANGR77

Hi!

That sound strange. Which kit bank is the one you got trouble with? Is it a factory kit bank?

I will normally add 5-10 increased steps to pfact after calibration...(regardless using my hh box or running it natively on Three.)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com