News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Am I doing this right

Started by sheguitarplayer, January 17, 2019, 01:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheguitarplayer

Please be gentle. I’m actually a guitarist who has taken a real interest in drums to the extent that I e bought a td30kv kit and have replaced the module with a drumit 3. I have little experience with drums and hkVe never played a acoustic kit. My problem is that I set up the triggers to the recommended type as shown in the manual yet i seem to be regularly hitting maximum velocity with medium playing  even with the trigger gains set at zero. Am I doing something g wrong or am I simply playing way too hard. I come from a hard rock background. And the kit is for recording. I must say it’s great fun and wish I had discovered this years ago. Much more fun than guitar and way more gig opportunities lol. Anyway any pointers would be much appreciated.

paulf707

Can you get quiet hits by tapping really gently or using your fingers?
If so then the module and pad are working OK, you just need to find the right settings. If the gains are set as low as you can, why not try some of the other trigger types to see if they give a better response?
Also, look at the velocity response curves, they can make a big difference to how the pads respond.
Moving forward, learning to play softer would probably be better, but I don't want to take all the fun out of bashing a drum kit - we all secretly enjoy that 😁

welshsteve

if you find a pad too hot (hitting zero on 0db gain) there's a gain reduction function, can't think what it's called off hand, but it's in triggering settings. When set to on, have a much wider plain to adjust gain to suit hot pads. You might wanna try messing with that.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Jman

As Welshsteve mentioned there is a Gain Reduction setting in the D3 module, great feature. I wish that was available in the latest OS for the D5. Anyway, it is called GainR .... when set to on it decreases the Gain and will give you more headroom in the Gain settings. That is under the Unit settings.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Rmiller

As stated, GainR. Page 51 in the user manual.

sheguitarplayer