News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Is The DrumIt 3 Capable Of Position Sensing (Or Some Form Of It)?

Started by nohumanape, January 12, 2019, 01:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nohumanape

I'm new to all of this. In my research I've only seen it really advertised from Roland. But given the seemingly open nature of the DrumIt 3, with a compatible pad, is position sensing possible? Or is it only something you can do with a Roland Module, Roland supplied samples and a Roland pad?

ANGR77

Yes, thats right. The Drumit 3 and 5 dont support PS. The reason is that Roland have been controlling the patent for decades... but I think the patent is expiring this year.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Gr00veg0d

ANGR77

Hi!

I think the function of PS could be incorporated in a easy way...(to get the triggers to react on the position hit on the drum) but the hard part is that you need to redo all sounds. It is like adding a new dimension to the sounds. First you need to sample the drum (could be up to 128 velocity layers) and the you need to add up to 128 position layers of sound. In the best of world you need 16384 hits of samples to create on drum...but not even Roland have this or are even close in their PS solutions.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

welshsteve

Ddrum 3 and 4 did this very well, and not just on snare. They also did pressure sense too. Bending/dampening of sounds. It was really cool to mess about with. I don't know how they (2box) don't have a patent themselves as they were the first to incorporate it in to a single pad. I think Simmons did it also with the SDX but that was because the pads were multi-zoned.
Personally, I don't think it's a major thing but quite a few seems to really want this feature.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

nohumanape

Quote from: ANGR77 on January 12, 2019, 11:41:22 AM
Hi!

I think the function of PS could be incorporated in a easy way...(to get the triggers to react on the position hit on the drum) but the hard part is that you need to redo all sounds. It is like adding a new dimension to the sounds. First you need to sample the drum (could be up to 128 velocity layers) and the you need to add up to 128 position layers of sound. In the best of world you need 16384 hits of samples to create on drum...but not even Roland have this or are even close in their PS solutions.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
It would be a really cool addition to the software, at least. For someone who would like to record their own sounds, in some cases with snares and various ride cymbals, it would be great if the software went further into zones around the pad/instrument. So when recording you just made sure to do you velocity recording within those areas.

Either way, not a huge deal. Just curious.

Thanks