News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Differences beetween Drumit 5 and Drumit 3

Started by wsoficial1018, November 28, 2018, 10:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsoficial1018

Hello, my name is William and I am from Brazil.
I searched this forum trying to find comparisons beetween Drumit 5 and Drumit 3 modules.
I've found this topic http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=3802.0 where Jman answered very briefly about his first impressions on Drumit 3, but he said he uses the module as a slave module.
I have the chance to buy an used Drumit 5 module here in Brazil, for about 2,700 BRL (two thousand and seven hundred "coin units").
But the Drumit 3 module is not selling here, I have to buy from Europe and pay international shipping.
The new Drumit 3 module will cost me about 4,800BRL (four thousand and eight hundred "coin units" from Brazil).
The question is: can anyone reply this topic with the basic differences between the 2box Drumit modules?
As far as I searched, I've found that Drumit 5 does not have the "Roland Style three zone input" (A-B plugs for the same cymbal), but Drumit 5 has a very important feature to me that is the capability to add your own samples with velocity variation... and the capability to split the toms into percussion inputs... what more?
(thank you for your attention)

wsoficial1018

Searching the web for images, I could see Drumit 5 has no hihat pedal input, while Drumit 3 has.
Drumit 5 has more outputs (six in total), while Drumit 3 has four.
But what about the software differences? what about this kind of things we can't see in google images?

welshsteve

The main difference is The Drumit3 took the playback engine of the 5 but added a more universal trigger interface so that Roland/Yamaha/Alesis hihat and cymbals in general work. It's only the hihat where this is more black and white where you cannot use a Roland Hat system with the drumit5 (unless you buy the Zumann box as a work around) Roland cymbals work on the Drumit5 but you have to compromise a little. i.e. Have bow edge only, not bow edge and bell etc.
You also get a clean pad/rimshot separation in the snare as opposed to Pad+Rim triggering. But the three no longer has channel buttons on the panel for previewing sounds, but can still be done by selecting the channel manually and pressing "trig" But it was more user friendly having it laid out in with LEDs.
It has 2 less outputs. But with some configuration you can make the Drumit3 have 6 outputs utilising the headphone out as outputs 5 and 6. But know the drumit5 can be configured to have 8 though.
That's it in a nutshell, all the sounds can be played on both and they both can be modified to have a 32gb storage upgrade with an external card reader.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

wsoficial1018

Thank you for your answers. I ended up buying 2box Drumit 3 from Thomann, and I will pay the international shipping and Brazilian taxes.
Anyway... I have one more question.
I've searched this forum with the words "chain, daisy chain, slave module" etc, and I only found Drumit 5 related posts.
I want to know if it's possible to link a slave module into my Drumit 3, and create a huge kit with a lot more pads.
In Drumit 5 i've read it is not possible, you can only assign midi notes to existing pads.
Is it possible with Drumit 3?

welshsteve

You cannot trigger any more sounds than the total channels of the drumit3. Unlike some other modules where you have the trigger channel and then some more than can be triggered via midi.
But if you have a drumit3 and say, a SH drumit5 (which can be picked up quite cheap now) you can feed the second module into the aux in of the Drumit3.  That would give you an extra 12 or so channels.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!