Author Topic: What hihat would you suggest getting?  (Read 637 times)

Krillo

• View Profile
What hihat would you suggest getting?
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »
Hi all,

I've had the drumit3 now for over 3 weeks. I'm not happy with the response of the Yamaha RHH-135 hihat. I've gone through the settings enough to be familiar with them, so calibration is no longer the issue.

I'm looking for suggestions on which hihat to get. I would guess the 2box hihat would perform the best with the drumit3, but would like to have your input. Which hihat do you suggest I get?

Here's an example of the hihat playing I do on acoustic drums.
https://youtu.be/LOCmbK6osYU
Attempting this style of playing on the Yamaha hihat is just frustrating.

ANGR77

• 2Box, have got my hands on unit 211
    • View Profile
    • Zourman.com
Re: What hihat would you suggest getting?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 10:34:03 PM »
Hi!

When you say bad response... do you mean the pedal or the e-pad of RHH-135?

If it is the pedal...the 2box hh could be an alternative...but maybe there are even better alternatives:
1. The Roland’s or a ATV  hh. (ATV needs a Zourman module)
2. Stealth hh Kit.(then you could use the existing Yamaha pads)
3. 2box hi-hats

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystallite, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, MegaDRUM, 2Box 5 & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.7, all ADPaks moved to 2box(SDSE) Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Krillo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 05:36:11 AM »
Hi!

When you say bad response... do you mean the pedal or the e-pad of RHH-135?

If it is the pedal...the 2box hh could be an alternative...but maybe there are even better alternatives:
1. The Roland’s or a ATV  hh. (ATV needs a Zourman module)
2. Stealth hh Kit.(then you could use the existing Yamaha pads)
3. 2box hi-hats

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

It's mostly the pedal that sucks, and I hope it's the Yammie and not the module. The pad itself does have quite a hot spot, but the pedalfunction is what makes it suck.

Does additional boxes improve performance?

ANGR77

• View Profile
    • Zourman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 09:42:05 AM »
Ok.

No, my boxes wouldn’t help On DI3 or Yamaha hh.

The Yamaha is using 8 fixed pedal positions so it should in theory perform good.
I am doing some generic stuff after been calibrating the Roland hi-hats. I am raising the pfact about 10 steps and sets the pedal curve to a negative value and sens to about -2 to -4 to make it run smooth.

Best regards

Anders / wwe.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystallite, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, MegaDRUM, 2Box 5 & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.7, all ADPaks moved to 2box(SDSE) Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Krillo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 09:53:40 AM »
I think by now it's safe to say that the RHH-135 is incompatible with the drumit3. I took it apart and checked that it wasn't broken, because it responded so bad. Nothing was broken. The Yamaha DTX500 module performs significantly better in combination with the RHH-135.

Edit: It was the firmware version 1.32.4 that caused the problems.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:34:04 AM by Krillo »

ANGR77

• View Profile
    • Zourman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 04:18:00 PM »
Hi! The RH-135 is on the list of supported hh for Drumit Three. (On their website)

I have not tested it myself...but I am tempted. If it is poor performance...maybe there is business opportunites. :-)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

nohumanape

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 02:28:03 AM »
I don't think that my VH-11 hats are broken, but I am having a hell of a time making them responsive. Anyone have any input on how they should be? I can slowly transition between open/close smoothly, but if I try to do so quickly, it just doesn't even detect it. So playing something like a fancy disco beat, with the hats hitting every "and" of the meter is out of the question. I recently watched a YouTube video where the guy was able to play such a beat, but I can't.

I'm willing to switch over to the 2Box HiHats, if they ate better supported. Any thoughts?

welshsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 04:57:38 AM »

nohumanape

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 06:48:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpxzzEuJopg&t=9s

Have you seen this?
No, I hadn't seen that before! Going through it now, but one thing I'm kind of stuck at us adjusting the "RAW" value for the hats. In the video, it stated to adjust the value to 850 "with the HH clutch released". Does that mea. Fully released from the rod? Or floating freely, while attached to the rod? Because when I have it fully released and resting with it's full weight on the Controller, I get a value of 940 that I can't adjust.

ANGR77

• View Profile
    • Zourman.com
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 09:36:41 PM »
940 seems to be abit high. Have you used the trim potentiometer in the the back of the three module to adjust it down?

850 should be the raw value when the clutch is released and the hihat is resting in closed mode by its on weight.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Krillo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 07:00:27 AM »
I got a 2box hihat. Comparing the Yamaha RHH-135 with the 2box, the Yamaha does foot chick / splashes better and is easier to calibrate. Transitioning between levels of opennes seems better with the 2box. I was expecting a bigger improvement. Without having the 2box to compare with, the Yamaha didn't seem completely compatible.

With the Yamaha, you have separate velocity curves for the pedal and the pad. With the 2box, the pedal velocity curve does not affect the splash level, (Edit: it does affect the pedal) which is too loud, and does not trigger well. This is probably due to the pad triggering instead of foot chick, which also explains the weird foot chick sounds I get with the 2box hihat. Maybe this can be solved by lowering the level of the pedal samples when creating the dsnd in the 2box editor.

I find the edges of Yamaha cymbals a bit too soft. The 2box has a harder surface which I personally prefer, but that is actually the only improvement over the Yamaha at this point. (Edit: no hotspot on the 2box hihat, but the Yamaha does)

Unless I manage to improve calibration, I will probably keep my acoustic hihat.

The old ddrum4 hihat is quite superior when it comes to playability, but the sounds are of course limited. Maybe I'll try it via MIDI.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:02:14 PM by Krillo »

Krillo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 06:10:20 PM »
I played around with the hihat calibration again today, the pedal-related issues I had with the 2box hihat was due to using the normal felt washer under the magnet of the hihat. The magnet-base that comes with the 2box hihat must not rest on a felt washer or the like, because that messes up the pedal signal.

The weird sounds I was getting was due to the pad triggering (wrong zone) instead of the pedal. It took a lot of tweaking to get it to work as intended.

All that said, I will go back to using my acoustic hihat.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:56:22 PM by Krillo »