News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Output Options

Started by 510man, September 13, 2018, 09:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

510man

I'm buying a new kit for a church. 2Box is out of the hunt because of outputs. I've looked at Roland and Yamaha. 2box is way out front on sound. Just trying to find a way to use it. No way four outputs is gonna get it done. We learned that wasn't enough with the Alesis D4 back in 1991.

Is there a way to use the headphone output as two additional outputs?

Any thoughts other than buying two?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rmiller

Yes you can use the headphone outs to give you 6 outs total. You need to use the buses and assign them. Check out the D3 manual on the 2box website.

paulf707

Pick up a second hand Drumit5 and you get 6 outputs plus Headphones which can be used as another 2 - giving 8
That's potentially; kick, snare, stereo toms, hihat, ride, stereo crash cymbals / percussion

Rmiller

I would go with a D3. The D5 headphone output has problems and the hihat is proprietary. The D3 has universal pad support and a good price point for its capabilities. Now if you need a bunch of ins and outs and can afford it, the pearl mimic pro is by far the best module on the market imo but it is a little pricy.

TheROTH

Good for you if you can configure pads to outputs 1-4.

The buses clearly do not send the outputs to their respective output jacks.

I have assigned my four as:

1)  Kick Drum

2)  Snare Drum

3)  Toms (all)

4)  Cymbals (all, incl hi-hat)

I have spent all day trying to follow the manual and its hopeless.  Lots about how things work and what things mean but, when you need to change something, the information and/or step-by-step guide on how to do it is sadly lacking in the Drum-It 3  manual.

Drum-It 3 is simply not doing what it says on the tin.

welshsteve

Sorry if you have done this, but are you hard panning the things you want to assign?

So,

Kick output 1+2 panned hard left
Snare Output 1+2 hard right
Toms output 3+4 Hard Left
Cymbals 3+4 hard right?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

TheROTH

Quote from: welshsteve on September 23, 2018, 07:49:28 AM
Sorry if you have done this, but are you hard panning the things you want to assign?

So,

Kick output 1+2 panned hard left
Snare Output 1+2 hard right
Toms output 3+4 Hard Left
Cymbals 3+4 hard right?

Where does it say to do it like this in the manual?

I am not 'hard panning' anything as the manual did not state this has to be done.

You are able to select (buses): 1, 1&2, 2, 3, 3&4, 4.   So I would have thought as on page 54 of the online manual that you can select single BUS channel(?).  Therefore, why 'hard pan'?

And on page 67 & 68 of the online manual - in the Signal Flow and Routing Options - you can see how they have shown what to program in for the drums/cymbals.

Why does this not work???? 

welshsteve

I understand a little clearer now. Only use outs 1+2 on Dit3 so haven't looked at splitting them. Just from the one time I did with the drumit5 4 years ago I think I had to pan them as 1+2 (for example) is a stereo out. So If I want something to come from 1 only, I'd have to pan it that way.

As I don't have the di5 anymore, only the di3, I'll set the kit up later and have a look and see if I can get what you're after.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

TheROTH

Something is starting to work now - which is good!

Next problem is:

How do I stop/disable all outputs going to the Phones Output (headphones)?

When I hit my kick-drum and snare drum, there is an output to my Focusrite 18i20 channels 1 & 2 - which I use for my 2Box Phones Out.   

Rmiller

Set all channels on the internal mixer on the module that you don’t want on the headphone outs to minimum (Unit-mix page). It is all explained in the manual (manual stinks) and you can assign  single or multiple channels to I.e. Bus 1 or Bus 2 or bus 1 and 2 etc. For channels you only want on the headphone outs, do not assign them to a bus. As for NOT hearing the rest of the channels you have assigned to a bus but still in the mix on the headphone outs try to think more of you’re unassigning whatever channels by turning them all the way down in the internal mixture. Read the notes under the pics as well,. You don’t have to pan anything unless you want to. Another thing to remember when wanting 6 separate outs is to only assign the mix to the headphones not to outs 1-4. That’s why you turn down the fader volumes of the the channels you don’t want to be heard in the mix only, since that’s a separate volume control of its own.