News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drumit 3 with Yamaha X120SD/TP120SD pad

Started by welshsteve, July 13, 2018, 12:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshsteve

Hey,
Has anyone tried the Drumit3 with the XP/TP120SD 3 zone pad? I am thinking to try it out. I would really like to have snare, rimshot and side stick sounds from one pad.
Just wondered what anyone's experience is.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

welshsteve

Oh, well... I guess I am gonna find out. Just won two on ebay (TP120SD) I bid on 2 thinking I'd be outbid on at least one of them...

Bosh!

I won both. Got them really cheap though, £30 each!

Jman

Quote from: welshsteve on July 13, 2018, 01:26:24 PM
Oh, well... I guess I am gonna find out. Just won two on ebay (TP120SD) I bid on 2 thinking I'd be outbid on at least one of them...

Bosh!

I won both. Got them really cheap though, £30 each!
Well, there is the PaPSY trigger Preset in the module specifically for Yamaha Piezo Switch Switch pads, so you should be good.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

welshsteve

I hope so, if not, hasn't cost me too much as an experiment. But it'll mean I'll have one more than I was hoping for. If it works great, I might actually go for the silicon version (X120SD)

To maintain an authentic look, the TP120SD can be rigged to a 12" 6 hole snare drum. Whether I do that I am unsure yet. I'll see how well it functions.

Slamstick

What happened to the jobeky kit.

welshsteve

I still have it, I didn't buy a snare for it. I am currently using a Tama 12" soprano on it with an Aquarian Onhead with RimShot trigger. Works pretty well! Just curious as to making 3zone snare options.

KnipeDrums

I just received my new Drumit 3 from EDrumCenter.com, as soon as I get it on the kit I am testing it with Yamaha XP120Sd, Yamaha TP100 and TP120 along with Older Roland pads that were shoe horned into my custom shells and all of the Yamahaq PCY Series Cymbals i.e. RHH135, pcy 65, pcy 65s, pcy 135, pcy 150, PCY 130 and PCY130s. I will let everyone know what I find for trigger settings. I also have some DIY experimental stuff I tried and will test with that as well. 

This module is built like a tank, love the medium size of this. I hate the cheap power adapter but the proof is in the sounds.  The Fun begins

welshsteve

Just had a quick play about with the TP120SD pad set to PadSSY setting and I have to say, it works a bloody charm!
Anyone that has an old Yamaha DTXtreme II set would be in their element with the Drumit3. Next gig, this is my snare pad. Gonna rip some Superior drummer 3 samples, make some 3 zone Dsdn in the new editor and give it the proper test on the next gig.
As for settings, 0 db gain (with the gain setting on the pad up on full) norm curve, mask off, -40 threshold works really well! It's always a bit different at home than on a gig. Usually I flatten the curve a gig to a POS1 curve, but will see how I feel next time out.

KnipeDrums

I just connected the XP120SD, the TP100's and a TP65s as well as the Yamaha Cymbals.

The TP100 I set to PadPS and had both head and rim, triggers beautifully. Everything is hot so like Welshsteve I had to adjust some settings.

The XP120SD I set to PAPSy, I had to go quite a bit higher on the gain. But plays beautifully.

I used the standard settings for both the Yammy pc135 and my trusty pcy 150ys.  Now off to calibrate the high hat. I hope I can keep my RHH135, ya just never know.

welshsteve

Keep us posted about the HIHAT... I am interested to see how it fairs!

Slamstick

Great to hear that some Yammie products are compatible with Drumit3 .Would love to see Yamaha come out with an open module and  a  new kit. Recently they are focused more in the hybrid sector

KnipeDrums

Quote from: welshsteve on July 18, 2018, 10:34:58 PM
Keep us posted about the HIHAT... I am interested to see how it fairs!

So far I have the High Hat working pretty well, the playing response is great. The foot chick is a little off. Calibration went easily enough. Tomorrow I have to dial in the RAW setting as well as the PFACT & POFF settings.  The Good News is the High Hat works well and is just as responsive as it is on my DTXtreme3.

So Far I am loving the module. Even the manual is not bad, not lengthy by any means but gets to the point and is easy to understand. (I wish Yamaha would learn that)

I am so pleased with the triggering and ease of setting this up.

One thing to note regarding the XP120SD (Textured Silicone Pads) towards the edge of the pad the triggering falls off a bit to say the last quarter inch of the pad. I am sure its the Textured Silicone and you cant raise the gain high enough to get it any better. Very much still playable though.

Jman

Quote from: KnipeDrums on July 19, 2018, 02:57:37 AM

One thing to note regarding the XP120SD (Textured Silicone Pads) towards the edge of the pad the triggering falls off a bit to say the last quarter inch of the pad. I am sure its the Textured Silicone and you cant raise the gain high enough to get it any better. Very much still playable though.
You might want to test the Pos1 and Pos2 Trigger Curves. One of those might help. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

edtc

Quote from: KnipeDrums on July 19, 2018, 02:57:37 AM

Who needs to play on the last quarter inch of the pad ...? :)

KnipeDrums

Thanks Jerry, although as EDtC said who needs to play on the outer edge of the pad. I am not complaining by any means as I said the pad is very playable, just needs a little tweaking. I will know more today. Loving the module, it is very playable and once I have my sounds in the module it will be the perfect module for me.