News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drumit5 HiHat / Cymbal options

Started by paulf707, June 09, 2018, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulf707

I'm considering a 2nd hand Drumit5, but I like to play centre hihat so ideally I want to swap out the 2Box Hihat stand for a separate pedal and cymbal.
Reading on here, it looks like it should be possible using one of the hihat controller boxes and then modifying a Roland/Yamaha/Alesis HH pedal.
If I then use a different make cymbal pad for the hihat (perhaps a smaller one), can I re-use the 2Box Hihat as another cymbal?
Is the 'top' Hihat the same trigger as the crash cymbal?

edtc

You could also use a cable HH stand ... millenium is making one for around 50â,¬ ...

mday

Why bother with a cable??? It's an ekit so you don't need a physical connection.
Have a look at my solution here:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,2490.msg21319.html#new

edtc

if you want a cheap solution , you could use the electronic circuit board that is in the 2BOX hihat ...

Here s an old post from Manfred in 2013:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,897.msg8723.html#msg8723

then you just need an old FD7 or FD8 + a magnet & stick the board & magnet inside .

You can also use a kick pedal , but IMO the feeling isnt that right . ( i tried it first when i got my HHboard from Manfred back in the days )
Then i decided to have both acoustic & electronic HH at the same time , bought a remote HH pedal with cable , put the box on the plate & magnet on the back of the pedal ...
I use a modded Yamaha PCY135 for triggering ...
Like that i control the opening on both HH at the same time .
And it feels like a hh pedal ...

paulf707

Thanks for the thoughts/suggestions. If I can find a 2nd kit cheap enough then using the hihat circuitry probably makes more sense than trying to sell the Hihat separately and then buying a jman box (or similar).
If I end up buying a d5 brain and then building up a kit, then I can get a jman box and then build from there.

I actually had a Millenium cable hihat for a while when I was playing acoustic/hybrid. Quite a good solution, but difficult to transport safely, and after a year or so the cable joint on the pedal started to come away.
As mentioned above, not needing a link between my left foot and hihat is one of the benefits of edrums….