News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Kick drum problem

Started by pierreguersing, May 13, 2018, 04:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierreguersing

Hi there, I've bought last year a second hand Drumit5. Everything went right, but lately I started to get kick drum signal losses. When I hit it, there were simply no sound played. I first checked the cable by switching with another pad, but the cable is ok. It went even worse, then. When I hit it twice, I had only 1 sound. I started to read some topics on this forum about kick drum problems, unmounted the mesh, removed the little plastic thing on the sensor, checked the settings on the main unit, lowered the threshold, checked every single feature, even made an update to the OS (now 1.30.3), rechecked all the settings, but nothing worked. When the mesh was removed and I tried to touch the sensor directly I've had very sensitive response, but as soon as I put the mesh head back in its place and in front of the sensor, I had absolutely no sound (even if the mesh is directly in contact with the sensor), no matter how hard I hit the pedal. I'm stuck now with a great e-drum set with no kick! Would anybody here be able to help me out?
Thanks!

welshsteve

If it worked before and now it doesn't, I'd bet money on it it's a broken Piezo in the kick drum pad. I changed mine MANY times. They do break frequently!! This isn't helped by the fact the piezos I was replacing them with was the stock off-the-shelf ones from an electrical store. I have it on good authority that it's prudent to source heavy duty ones off the internet. As for ratings, I wouldn't be able to say. But I think it's safe to say that any would work.
I am sure there'll be someone chiming in with a suggested rating. Too high output means the signal will be too hit and thus it will eat all your dynamics even at 0db gain!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

pierreguersing

Thanks welshsteve! Didn't know piezo's could break that easily. I'll buy a bunch of new ones though !  ;D
I'll let you know how it turns out  :)
Have a nice day!

wildhorse5678

My Kick drum has also stopped working TODAY  Ive had it packed away for over a year and it was working previously so Im assuming its the Pietzo thats gone as Ive checked the cables. Does any one have any instructions on how to replace them?  I do have some spare Pietzo from GoEdrum that I used in a A2E conversion. Will these work,

Thanks for any info.

Mike

MatthiasFrommann

hey, any recommendations for piezos?

welshsteve

I'd contact Diamond or Jobeky, they source rugged ones for their products. Otherwise just buy a bunch on 10mm ones off eBay. They'll cost pennies! But be prepared (if you're a regular player and perhaps a little on the heavy playing side) to have to replace it in time.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

funkswing

Did replacing the piezo fix your kick drum issue?

I'm having this exact same issue.