News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

A and B cymbal inputs

Started by Rmiller, April 27, 2018, 09:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rmiller

I have three 3 zone cymbals (two 14’s one 16) and will use 1 as a ride and 2 for crashes. They each have 2 outputs per pad  (Pearl, Simmons, Alesis types, not Rolands) and am wondering if the B inputs will work for them and that they are able to use a crash type cymbal with a bell or would they need to be rides only. Not sure if this makes sense. Thanks

Jman

Quote from: Rmiller on April 27, 2018, 09:57:59 PM
I have three 3 zone cymbals (two 14’s one 16) and will use 1 as a ride and 2 for crashes. They each have 2 outputs per pad  (Pearl, Simmons, Alesis types, not Rolands) and am wondering if the B inputs will work for them and that they are able to use a crash type cymbal with a bell or would they need to be rides only. Not sure if this makes sense. Thanks
Not all crashes have bell sounds but many do. Even if they don't have bell sounds a 3 zone cymbal will work you just get the bow sound on the bell. But as far as whether the non Roland 3 zones will work since to my knowledge no one has tested and confirmed that yet you will have to test it yourself. On the Pearl/Alesis types I can say that the real "metal" ones will not work with both jacks because the bell is a piezo and the 2Box only works with switch for the B input. Pearl and Alesis have had different types of 3 zone rides some newer rubber models have switches for bell and "Might" work.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Rmiller

Thanks J.  Mine are new 14” Alesis rides (not Strike) and an Alesis 16” ride. I also have 2 pearl 12 inch crashes but they can only be single zone since their split from toms 3 and 4’s rims. I will find out if the bells are switches and will report my findings. I use muted Sabien metal hats with your stealth trigger. Just got a goedrum controller but haven’t had time to mess with it. All my drums are 2 zone Lauren’s (12”s, 2 12”t, 2 10”t, 16”b using “tennis ball” Kat beaters). Once I get everything dialed in I will post my settings.

Jman

Quote from: Rmiller on April 27, 2018, 11:49:34 PM
Thanks J.  Mine are new 14” Alesis rides (not Strike) and an Alesis 16” ride. I also have 2 pearl 12 inch crashes but they can only be single zone since their split from toms 3 and 4’s rims. I will find out if the bells are switches and will report my findings. I use muted Sabien metal hats with your stealth trigger. Just got a goedrum controller but haven’t had time to mess with it. All my drums are 2 zone Lauren’s (12”s, 2 12”t, 2 10”t, 16”b using “tennis ball” Kat beaters). Once I get everything dialed in I will post my settings.
I'm pretty sure the new "rubber" Alesis Rides have the switch for the Bell. The Alesis metal and Pearl metal cymbals were just re-branded Smartrigger cymbals and definitely did not have the bell switch. But you will have to see how things work.

Also, when you setup the Hi Hat if you email me I can give you some settings I have compiled in the last couple weeks for the Stealth cymbals, including the HH cymbal with the D3. The settings are a little different from the Drumit Five settings since the D3 has some additional trigger parameter choices. J

larsoes

I just purchased the drumit3 and downloaded enerd sounds, great. But I have a roland cy-15r and can't get it to trigger the bell sound right. It has two outputs. I use cypsv, but can only get the edge and center to trigger right. Some advice?

Jman

Quote from: larsoes on July 11, 2018, 05:21:48 AM
I just purchased the drumit3 and downloaded enerd sounds, great. But I have a roland cy-15r and can't get it to trigger the bell sound right. It has two outputs. I use cypsv, but can only get the edge and center to trigger right. Some advice?
CYPSV is the preset for a 2Box Brand 3 zone. CYPSB is the preset for a Cy-15R. If you haven't downloaded the Owner Manual you really should as it shows which presets are for which cymbals as well as the other instructions that are important with a new module.

Rmiller

Finally after 3 months of owning the d3 module I found the time to start getting it set up.
1. Using the newer Alesis 14” rides as crashes ( not stirike cymbals) , the a and b work like the Roland’s; I get the bell on the crash.
2. Using Jman’s stealth hihat trigger on a Sabian hihat upper cymbal with a geo drum controller, It works “ok”. Still trying to dial it in. Need to run it thru sdse to balance out the sound. Chick sound, when using pedal, is louder than when striking the cymbal. Also still not getting a tight closed sound when fully pressing the pedal and striking the cymbal as well as not getting quite a fully open hi hat sound. It’s a little sizzley. Still messing with calibration settings.
3. The drums sound great, however I am not impressed with the crash, ride or hi hat samples. They all seem somewhat tinney and do not sustain well at all, especially the rides. I have tried various settings but haven’t found any that I consider good sounding samples yet. I will import some ad2 cymbal samples that I know sound good and hope they stay that way after the conversion.  Also need to run them thru sdse to get the sounds better balanced between the edge, bow and bell.
4. Just really getting started with this thing. I did select the appropriate type pads for each, set the gains (heavy strike =0.0) , then adjusted individual output volumes. Have not messed with faders yet for any volume control. Also messed around with different curve settings (normal for most, couple of pos 1’s as well.)
5. Not sure why channel 2 is the default used for midi out. Channel 10 is the standard for drums unless I am missing something here.
Overall pleased with the module, especially the ability to use ad2 kits without a computer, but the factory drums  are really good, again the cymbals are so so thus far.

ANGR77

Quote from: Rmiller on August 15, 2018, 03:33:43 AM
Finally after 3 months of owning the d3 module I found the time to start getting it set up.
1. Using the newer Alesis 14” rides as crashes ( not stirike cymbals) , the a and b work like the Roland’s; I get the bell on the crash.
2. Using Jman’s stealth hihat trigger on a Sabian hihat upper cymbal with a geo drum controller, It works “ok”. Still trying to dial it in. Need to run it thru sdse to balance out the sound. Chick sound, when using pedal, is louder than when striking the cymbal. Also still not getting a tight closed sound when fully pressing the pedal and striking the cymbal as well as not getting quite a fully open hi hat sound. It’s a little sizzley. Still messing with calibration settings.
3. The drums sound great, however I am not impressed with the crash, ride or hi hat samples. They all seem somewhat tinney and do not sustain well at all, especially the rides. I have tried various settings but haven’t found any that I consider good sounding samples yet. I will import some ad2 cymbal samples that I know sound good and hope they stay that way after the conversion.  Also need to run them thru sdse to get the sounds better balanced between the edge, bow and bell.
4. Just really getting started with this thing. I did select the appropriate type pads for each, set the gains (heavy strike =0.0) , then adjusted individual output volumes. Have not messed with faders yet for any volume control. Also messed around with different curve settings (normal for most, couple of pos 1’s as well.)
5. Not sure why channel 2 is the default used for midi out. Channel 10 is the standard for drums unless I am missing something here.
Overall pleased with the module, especially the ability to use ad2 kits without a computer, but the factory drums  are really good, again the cymbals are so so thus far.

Ohh...there was some questions here!!
1. I have to check this. No crash cymbal sounds has a three zone implementation. But I am guessing right configured using a ride config with crash sounds - bow, edge + bell...that you could use the Alesis 3 zone rides to tigger this. (They should work directly - two trs cables into A/B on DI3.

2. To bring down the chick sound (which by default is very sharp and high) by adjust the parameters on the HSET page by setting the Sens to -5 and the Curve to neg2. To get a better closed sound when it is closed - try to adjust the PFACT parameter - I think you should raise the value by 5-15 steps. You will hear when the hh starts to close 100% in pedal closed position.

3. AD2 is great! I have converted every ADPak to 2box!

4. Keep testing around. To get a good balance on your drums first by adjusting the parameters before adjusting the volume.

5. I will raise this with 2box. I think it is also strange...but maybe they are still in the mindset of designing for ddrum...their previous mission 18 years ago...

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Rmiller

For the most part I found the bell did not work on the crashes but I did find one that did. The circuitry supports it with the 14” Alesis rides but most of the crash samples did not.  I guess my point was you’re not stuck with only Roland’s to get the function of the crash B channels.
I did get the drums dialed in but will continue with the hihat and cymbals, and thanks for the suggestions.