News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

MIDI control of DrumIt 3 mixer ?

Started by fuzzfilth, April 21, 2018, 11:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzfilth

Hey there, first post.

Got my D3 module last week and I'm very pleased so far.

I'm currently finding my way of incorporating it into my setup, which involves many other drum sounds from the laptop. Since Logic Pro X on this machine handles metronome, band mixing, effects in ear monitoring, recording and backing track duties as well as radically different pad/sound assignments from song to song already, I'd rather not try to rebuild all that in D3.
I might go with Local off and trigger D3's sounds via Pad>D3 Trigger In>D3 MIDI Out>Logic MIDI In>Logic MIDI Out>D3 MIDI in>D3 Audio Out, although this obviously brings more latency (ca 6,6ms from pad hit to sound). If that turns out to be too much, I might play the D3s sounds directly and mute any channels which play MIDI sounds, thus my question:

Can I control D3's mixer faders and/or routing remotely via MIDI sysex or preferably CC messages ?

Thanks

Christian

edtc

no , remote controlling the internal audio mixer of the DRUMIT5/3 is not possible for the moment ...

I totally agree it would be a useful thing ... Also it would be nice to be able to assign the new "functions" ( kit up/down , metronome start/stop ) to an external multipad via midi , so you dont waste pad inputs on the 2box module ...

It should be done with a software update , as i dont think it s a resource consuming feature ...

Hello 2BOX team ... what s up ...? ;)

Another feature i d like to see in a future os update , is the ability to assign different DSOUNDs to any 3zone of the cymbals pads ( it s already doable for toms & snare )...
   OK you can do it if you make your own Dsound with the editor , but doing it on the fly would be so better ...

And if possible , a dedicated volume control for each 3 zones ... again , not a resource consuming feature ...

edtc

Quote from: fuzzfilth on April 21, 2018, 11:37:51 AM
  If that turns out to be too much, I might play the D3s sounds directly and mute any channels which play MIDI sounds

what you can do is make different kits , with Dsound volume set to zero on the pads you intend to trigger laptop sounds ...

fuzzfilth

Quote from: edtc on April 21, 2018, 01:06:52 PM
what you can do is make different kits , with Dsound volume set to zero on the pads you intend to trigger laptop sounds ...

Yes, obviously. But the different possible combinations add up quickly, like, oh, I need Tom2 to be quiet and Tom4 Rim, but in the next patch it will be Tom1Rim and Crash Edge and Tom4 and so on, hence my question to simply control levels per channel and not per kit.

Christian

edtc

Quote from: fuzzfilth on April 21, 2018, 02:16:19 PM
Yes, obviously. But the different possible combinations add up quickly, like, oh, I need Tom2 to be quiet and Tom4 Rim, but in the next patch it will be Tom1Rim and Crash Edge and Tom4 and so on, hence my question to simply control levels per channel and not per kit.

Christian
I'm not sure it would be as handy as you think it is ...  That would make 14 controls for kick toms HH & snare (one for each zones), + 3 (or nine if you want it by zones) for cymbals  ...
So , if you don't have a 16 channel MIDI controller ,  you ll still have to go into submenus (with a smaller controller)
Also , with an individual level control for the whole unit (not by kits ) , if you go to another kit , you ll have the risk to have some pads not working if you forget to reset the volumes as it was before  ...

IMO it s easier to simply copy the kit you want to alter , you can make a lot of kits , i guess now it s illimited ...
Changing kits can be automated via MIDI program changes , so if you work with a computer , the 2BOX kit can be automatically changed for different songs ...

Another solution is to make a blank DSOUND , with just silence in it , and you wont have to change the volume at all ... if you need  tom 1 rim to be muted , you go to kit menu and change the sound for the blank one , and that s it ...

fuzzfilth

I understand your point.

However, my setup is different, possibly radically different.

Depending on the gig, I control many tasks from my rig. These can be any combination of
- Programmable song-specific pad/sound setups which can even be switched mid-song via a pad or one of two heel foot switches on the hihat. A single pad can access any of 127 notes on any of (currently 6, mouse-click expandable) different VSTs or hardware destinations (like Drumit). Each pads MIDI dynamics can be controlled per song (f.i. to have no dynamics in the song that needs the drum computer sound)
- Adding special effects like looong reverb to any of the bands microphones (preferably the singer) with same foot switches
- Mixing the entire band's in-ears (and FoH if needed), six different mixes
- Recording the performance on up to 24 tracks
- Audio click track with voice announcements of easy to miss changes, click visible to other band members too
- Automated page turn of lead sheet
- Song specific effect mixes (six sends to reverbs and tempo synced delays, vocal modulation and distortion), for each band mic.

Since I'm busy with drumming, theses tasks are mostly automated and/or preprogrammed. I certainly will not dig into menus and submenus during a performance. If there is to be a MIDI sound on a pad, the setup will have that routing saved, plus the muting of the D3 channel or, as it seems, send a PRG Change to a D3 kit with that channel turned down. I think that's handy.

You have a point with finding the previous level once a channel got turned down, but I understand that there's levels in unit mode and yet another set of levels in kit mode. Both of which are moot as they can't be accessed through MIDI anyway.

So kits with muted channels it will be.

Thanks

Christian