News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Adding midi notes

Started by Dobly, April 05, 2018, 11:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobly

It is possible with the Drumit5 to add midi notes it can use, and assign sounds to them?

Let me explain.. Currently you have a kit with the Kick on midi note C2 and Snare on F2 and so on.

Now, imagine I connect a device to midi In on the module and it is sending a C1 note. A note not used by the D5 kits. Can I assign a sound to C1 such that when that midi not comes in, the sound plays?

welshsteve

If I have understood you correctly, you're trying achieve more sounds than the input channels of the module? If that's what. you're trying to do then the answer is no, you are limited to midi notes (channels) of the kit only. Could you explain a bit more of what you're hoping to achieve in practice?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Dobly

I have an Alesis Sample rack. It has inputs on the back like a regular drum module. Kick, snare, etc.

It sends midi notes when you hit various pads.. I was asking if I sent those notes into the D5 or D3 can I trigger sounds on midi notes outside of the ones assigned to the regular kit pieces..

Even my old DM10 module can do that.

edtc

did you already split your tom inputs ?  If not , the rim of snare & toms can be independent ...

Also , if you dont use the bell zone on your 2 crashes , you could make special 3 zones Dsounds , with cymbal sounds for edge & bow , and an extra sound on bell zone , then you can trig it via MIDI ...

zmickles

Dobly,

On page 14 of the Drumit 5 manual, 1.2X, available free from the 2box website, you will find this:

"MIDI-Note
The table shows the MIDI notes that are assigned to the individual trigger channels at the factory. Of course these settings can be changed individually (see also page 52)."

Cheers.

Dobly

Quote from: edtc on April 09, 2018, 07:36:14 AM
did you already split your tom inputs ?  If not , the rim of snare & toms can be independent ...

I don't want to split anything. I want to send it midi notes that are not used the standard D5/3 kits.

Dobly

Quote from: zmickles on April 09, 2018, 10:15:33 PM
Dobly,

On page 14 of the Drumit 5 manual, 1.2X, available free from the 2box website, you will find this:

"MIDI-Note
The table shows the MIDI notes that are assigned to the individual trigger channels at the factory. Of course these settings can be changed individually (see also page 52)."

Cheers.

yeah I read that. Seems you can change which not a trigger sends.. That is not what I need. I want to be able to assign a sound to a midi note NOTE used by any of the triggers.. Seems it is not possible on the D5 or 3.

On the (ancient 2011) DM10 module you can assign sounds up to around midi note 91. The kits only use some of those so you can put sounds up there and an external device can trigger them.

Actually it's better than that on the DM10. Take the snare on Midi note 38.. You can tell it to transmit a midi note of say 88. You can put a sound on 88... Then, you plug the midi OUT to the midi IN on the DM10 and when you hit the snare it plays, sends a midi note to itself, and triggers the sound on 88.  Each sound has 2 layers to boot.  This was my first edrum module and I thought that sort of thing was standard. Seems its not.

Walse

Really, every edrum module (or synth) has a limited polyphonic capacity. Has you verified how many midi notes can you assign (and play) simultaneously on DM10? I doubt it may be unlimited.

On Drumit you can assign 15 different instruments to 15 midi notes, but really you can assign much more sounds to midi notes, creating your own instruments.

Dobly

Quote from: Walse on April 10, 2018, 09:42:24 PM
Really, every edrum module (or synth) has a limited polyphonic capacity. Has you verified how many midi notes can you assign (and play) simultaneously on DM10? I doubt it may be unlimited.

On Drumit you can assign 15 different instruments to 15 midi notes, but really you can assign much more sounds to midi notes, creating your own instruments.

Yes. The DM10 is 64 note polyphonic. If only it had the sound capabilities of the D5/3.