News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

To upgrade the hihat - or not?

Started by widdlywiddly, February 15, 2018, 10:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdlywiddly

I've had a 2box kit for 4 years or so. I have upgraded/switched the mesh heads, and added a Krigg Triggera to keep the noise as low as possible. But I'm wondering how much better the kit feels with a replacement hihat.

Can anyone comment on how much better a Roland VH-11 feels? Tempted by the upgrade but it'll end up costing £400+ unless I find a used deal. And that's almost half of what I spend on the whole thing.

I don't have any issues with double triggering, but I do find it tricky to consistently "isolate" a semi-open position while playing at times. This... may be down to poor technique. 

Could I get most of the way there with a better hihat stand? I'm still using the bundled one.

ANGR77

Hi!

There are several solutions if you want to go the VH-11 path. I am representing Zourman Drums and have a couple of hi-hat conversion modules.

I think my implementation for FD-8/CY5 + VH-11 with 2box actually do create a better trigger feeling when playing on the bow/edge (I think is a bit hot on the original)...and also with the pedal. It is easy to control the half or semiclosed or even less positions than that ...playing with a VH-11. The resistor based pedal makes it more accurate compared to the hall effect sensor found on 2box)

I have problems to play when I switch back to my old 2box hi-hat...which feels very binary....and unsensible...but my hi-hat is very old..(my serial no on my unit is 211....) So I know that 2box have said that they have improved the hi-hat since these days.

But it is very much about personal perceptions ... VH-11 + my box...there are some investments to be done here. (But there are more cost effective solutions like GO Edrums hi-hats which emulates VH-11 on the market) But the VH-11 is a nice hi-hat trigger...try to find a used one!

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com / Hi-hat & 3 zone conversion modules for 2box.

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

widdlywiddly

Hi Anders,

I've been looking at your box(es) over the last few days. Thanks for creating them! Still haven't quite got my head around the differences between yours and Jman's solutions in technical terms but I'll almost certainly go with one of yours if I go ahead with this plan.

I guess the good thing about buying a Roland pad second hand is that you can always sell it on without losing all that much if you don't get on with it!