News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Magnatrack Cymbolic

Started by daniboun, February 06, 2018, 10:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniboun

Hi amigos,

Can you help me about these new Cymbal Triggers ? I have some doubts about it....
Does it work with the 2box module ?

It seems to be the perfect solution when I see the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybZSBVG7ynQ

Any feedback here ?

DeraldPrice

It’s a piezo trigger so it should work. I wonder how it would handle 2 zone functionality though. And certainly no choke functionality.

But I am intrigued.

daniboun

Quote from: DeraldPrice on February 06, 2018, 11:39:48 PM
It’s a piezo trigger so it should work. I wonder how it would handle 2 zone functionality though. And certainly no choke functionality.

But I am intrigued.

Indeed, and as you can see : the Cymbolic mount,  just plugs into the Cymbal legs whitout being in contact with the cymbal... I wonder how with only the electro magnetic signal it can work ?

If any US guy has tested it ? I would be interested.

edtc

Quote from: daniboun on February 07, 2018, 06:14:45 AM
Indeed, and as you can see : the Cymbolic mount,  just plugs into the Cymbal legs whitout being in contact with the cymbal... I wonder how with only the electro magnetic signal it can work ?

As DeraldPrice sais , it s a piezo . IMO the magnetism isnt used for the triggering , but just for mounting purpose .

daniboun

Quote from: edtc on February 07, 2018, 08:18:43 AM
As DeraldPrice sais , it s a piezo . IMO the magnetism isnt used for the triggering , but just for mounting purpose .

Hummmmm not sure amigo, checkout, the piezzo is not in contact with the Cymbal... it means it captures vibrations via a magnetic process I guess...

edtc

try to stick a piezo to a cymbal arm , it will pick up the impact of the hit ...

edtc

i had a look on Magnatrack's website ... Now i m sure that the cymbolic isnt a different trigger that the version used for drum heads , the DST-1 ...

It s a trigger made of a piezo mounted on a magnet , so you can mount it directly on the drumhead ...

It s a clever idea , mostly to avoid crosstalk  as it must have a very strong and sharp signal + no need to drill or screw some mounting solution on the drum ...

At the beginning of his project , he also mounted those "magnetic piezo sandwiches" directly on cymbals ... i guess he realized that it wasn't a good idea as it dampens the sound of the cymbals , and with strong hits , the trigger could move or fall off the cymbal ...

Then he came out with the idea to make a metal mounting plate to fit his DST-1 triggers .

The guy is good on communication, with videos full of woooshh and editing effects   , but never says that it s a simple Piezo design ,  preferring  to create some mojo around the product , adding magnets and waves on the video , driving some people to think it s a brand new triggering concept ...:)

Not saying it s a bad product or idea ... i still think it s a great idea , but it s nothing more than a piezo mounted in a clever way ...

If not , how could it be possible for them to claim 100% compatibility with all modules as all drumbrains only work with piezo sensors ...?

And there s no special box like the INbox of the aquarian FSR based INheads or ONheads , to process the signal ...