News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Zourman Drums Hi-hat Conversion Module for ddrum 4 SE

Started by ANGR77, January 28, 2018, 08:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANGR77

Hi best friends!

About 2 months ago I got a my hands on an old ddrum 4 SE module. (Got it from a friend!)

As a spinoff when I got the ddrum 4SE module and also from a couple of requests from customers asking - Can't you develop a hi-hat conversion for Roland hi-hats and the ddrum 4se?

So well...I thought, no problem I can do this and I started the project - however - it was not so easy as I thought and it took me like 100 hours to complete. I am not 100% ready yet but I think it is working ok already - some fine tuning which still remains.

Results: https://youtu.be/URgH1sgr9YE

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com /

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

ANGR77

The Roland hi-hat conversion module for ddrum4 SE is now available on https://zourman.com/products/roland-hi-hat-conversion-modules-for-ddrum4-se/

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

oddrum

I just bought a used VH-11 and ordered one of Zourman's conversion modules.  Can't wait to play it with my ddrum 4 SE.

Hoping the VH-11 is better in a few ways:

1) quieter than the original rubber pad on metal hi-hat,
2) physically more like a real hi hat symbol (with a bit of the swing),
3) more sound variations between open and closed positions.

My plan is to improve my ddrum based kit slowly and perhaps eventually get a 2box when the new ones finally get to the US.

So my strategy is to get triggers that will work with ddrum 4 SE *and* Drummit 3. Next step is a new kick drum. The original ddrum kick drum is pretty good but I have issues with it's stability and tendency to retrigger.

Anyone have any recommendations for either solving the issues and/or a better kick drum solution that is ddrum 4 SE and Drummit 3 compatible?

Thanks for any advice...

Owen

ANGR77

Hi!

I am really hoping that the ZD Conversation for dd4se will meet your expectations!
It is going to be interesting to see if you like it!

Regarding the kick drum alternatives I have tried the following gears with positive results on my DD4SE:

• Roland RT-10K external trigger with Remo Silent Stroke
  • Roland KT-10 Kick pedal

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com / hi-hat conversations for 2box & DD4SE.

SynapticGroove

Anders,

I should be ordering a conversion module by summer.  Are they a limited run?

Cheers for the blood, sweat & tears!

Benjamin

ANGR77

No - this is for life...:-) - I have parts to create about 25 boxes...and I build them to order.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

SynapticGroove

Anders,

Fantastic!  While I don't mind the DD4SE hi-hat, it takes some finagling to get it to, for example, trigger Addictive Drums correctly.  I think the more modern offerings will be less problematic.

Now, if I could only completely figure out the compression scheme that Clavia used for the DD4/4SE samples, man it would really unlock the potential of that module! :)

That being said, I still fancy a Drumit 3 module in the future.

Best,

Benjamin

ANGR77

Hi - some history of the sounds found in DD4SE:

The DD4SE sound compression was a complex and advanced thing. The sounds were compiled using a 68K based MAC with a custom written Clavia app. The fabric sounds are actually consisting of 10 layers of 8 bit samples and a very special "round robin with filters" to take away the machine gun effects. The sounds were compressed 6 times in size. So I am guessing it won't be possible to create new sounds to the DD4SE...too much special stuff and solutions.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

SynapticGroove

Anders,

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, it seems as though the Ddrum4SE compression algorithm is lost to posterity.  What a shame!