News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Ride Cymbal Bow Zone Triggering As The Bell

Started by Baconr24, January 28, 2018, 06:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baconr24

Hello,
Any Drumit Five owners out there have an issue with their ride cymbal's bow zone triggering as the bell? I've tried using both cymbals that came with my kit and both have this issue, so I'm guessing it's a software issue. Or maybe it is a hardware flaw with the cymbals. It seems certain parts of the cymbal's bow area trigger as the bell (I have them marked), but it's also caused by hitting the bow area with a certain amount of force. Just curious if anyone else has this issue and if anyone has figured out a resolution.

When I emailed 2 Box back in December 2014 about it, this is what they said:

Try to reduce the GAIN level  for this cymbal at (UNIT-TRIG) so your hardest BOW hit doesn’t trig the Bell. If you can’t reduce the GAIN, because you are already at 0 one idea is to solder in a 39 K resistor on the signal preferable in on the jack connector on the cymbal. After that you need to tweak the Gain setting to fit.
Regards
Team2box

Tweaking the gain didn't work and I have no idea what he was saying in the second part of that email. Obviously not a great solution. Thank in advance!

edtc

The piezo is located in the bell  .... bell detection relies on velocity . 

so if you get bell sounds it s because the signal is too strong ... Thats why they told you to add a resistor to lower the signal .

Be sure you are in CYM14 mode , curve set to normal , gain at 0 ... it should be ok like that ...

If not , maybe the piezo sensor has a soldering problem that could give peak signals sometimes , causing bell sounds , because for the module , strong signal = bell sound .

Jman

As mentioned Bell/Bow is the same piezo just velocity switching ..... highest velocity hits trigger Bell sounds lower velocity trigger Bow sounds. Setup is like this ....... first of all I would set your L M H setting to M. Then .... Start at Gain 0. Hit the bow hard over and over Raise the Gain little by little until the Bell sound starts to trigger on really hard hits. Then lower the Gain again so you do not get bell sounds on the bow. That Gain setting should be the best you can do. Then if you want to raise or lower the Bell sound level, that is what the L, M, and H setting is for. It is explained in the 2Box Manual in short: Set the Gain as high as you can without triggering the Bell sounds on the Bow.

If even at 0 Gain you still get Bell sounds on the bow ..... I agree with edtc ..... there is a problem with the cymbal. But if that is the case try using one of the Negative Curve settings. I'm not sure if that will help but it is worth a try. As far as using a resistor you could probably just build an adapter cable that plugs into the Ride and your regular cable plugging into that, but that is not the normal user type of solution ...... LOL
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Baconr24

Hey Guys,
Thank you so much for the quick and informative replies! I always assumed the sound depended on where the cymbal was hit, rather than the velocity. Also just learned what a piezo is, haha. I made sure that cymbal is set to CYM14 mode, gain set to 0M, and curve set to NORM. Turning the gain down to 0 definitely helps a lot. It also helps to understand how the cymbal actually works too.

I'm still getting the bell sound about 20% of the time on two, maybe 1-2" wide sections of the bow when I hit them with a consistent velocity. Both are on opposite sides of the cymbal from one another. I'm not getting the bell on any other part of the bow though, so that's a huge improvement.

ANGR77

Hi!

I can just confirm that the 2box cymbal 14" seems in general to be a bit hot...so even if using the default settings for CYM14 Gain=0 and M...it is quite easily to generate a bell hit with a hard hit. So it is a good idea to cool it off slightly by using a 39K resistor. (You can install it in series on the tip signal on one of the tele connectors.)

The velocity difference between a bell hit and bow hit is supposed to be 12dB. 

As you see in my video https://youtu.be/5cBdUjTaR2s when hitting the CYM14...I also get bell sounds if hitting harder. (But my solution for Roland CY-13R and CY-15R  & 2box has this feature built in + among some other nice tweaks)

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com