News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hi there - New 2box 5 owner

Started by dragonz, November 17, 2017, 08:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonz

Not sure where best to put this, so I'm putting it here :)

Just got my kit set up, & starting to learn my way around it.
There is plenty of good information here I can see, so I hope I don't bore anyone with stupid questions along the way.

Regards

Phil

Murgen

Welcome! I'm proud owner of a 5.5 year old 2Box, still going strong (besides less time to play but we try to keep it up)
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

dragonz

Spent a few days just playing with the kits there, & finding the different sounds, rim triggers, etc.
Still playing round with pad placement, the lack of bulk over a conventional kit makes the setup far more flexible to get things where you want them.

Will start making a couple of my own kits this weekend, using the pre-programmed sounds for now, just setting the kits up with the sounds I'm liking the combination of, as a means to familiarise myself better with how it all works.

I've got myself a 3rd cymbal & 4th tom to give myself a bigger kit "feel" & figure I will use the rim triggers on a couple of toms to give start some of the internal rhythms to play with too.

After years of old 2nd hand drums, fix-ups, & gear that isn't quite what I wanted, its wonderful to have something nice, new, & always tuned to play on :)

dragonz

ok,
having played round with all the kits the unit comes with, I figured I had worked out what I liked & what I didn't, so looked at the limited space in the module storage & figured I would just delete what I didn't like, & then I could load up the endre-enerd kits I had downloaded (I blame him for me buying this kit :) )
Then the problems started.
I hadn't properly looked at how the kits were arranged in the file system, & so instead of being able to just delete a kit or 2 to make space, I have now figured I need to identify all the sounds I do & don't like, & delete the ones I don't, so I can them make space for the ones I do.
Either that, or I'm going to have to risk my warranty & buy the Jman memory extender setup.

So, first question:
has any one actually mapped out what & where all the sounds are, or is there an easy way to do this that I'm not understanding yet?
I've started a spreadsheet to try & map this all out in a logical way, & then try to identify the sounds I can delete.

secondly:
has anyone actually had significant warranty issues with their modules?
as a new owner, & new to edrums, I'm a little nervous about getting myself all set how I want, & then having an issue, but being turned away because I have made an unauthorised mod to my kit.

Thanks

Dragonz

welshsteve

If space is an issue (as 4gb can be eaten up very quickly) the best thing you can do if you have a spare â,¬100 or so, is get the 32gb modification from Jman, you will NOT look back!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

JRage

Hi dragonz,

I've mapped the sounds against kits they're included, sharing through Google Docs:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jSfj4JH7UV7m1wcH7DhpEEOV-Hp6ysGMQhwVNq0IauM/edit?usp=sharing

J
Posted by some mistake.

Itsme

Im a new 2boxer and the first thing I did was get on ebay and get a sd extension cable and 32gb card, spot on but ive just about filled it lol,

JRage

Quote from: Itsme on December 19, 2017, 10:19:22 PM
Im a new 2boxer and the first thing I did was get on ebay and get a sd extension cable and 32gb card, spot on but ive just about filled it lol,

I've also finally filled mine 32 Gigs ::)

Initially on original 4 GB card I tried to find kits which I didn't like, mapped them against all sounds/source kits they referenced to and calculated possible gains by removing any of the source kits. Obviously, the electronic stuff takes much less than sampled analogue kits and is not worth removing. In result I cleared enough space for 3 eNerd's RP1000 kits ;)
Posted by some mistake.

dragonz

Quote from: JRage on December 19, 2017, 02:49:42 PM
Hi dragonz,

I've mapped the sounds against kits they're included, sharing through Google Docs:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jSfj4JH7UV7m1wcH7DhpEEOV-Hp6ysGMQhwVNq0IauM/edit?usp=sharing

J
Thanks for this,
I had started on one myself, but this saves me a bunch of time, & is better than I was doing anyway!
Yes, the endre e-nerd kits need space, & yes I think the 32gb expansion is going to be a must-do for me too.
Really enjoying some of the standard kits, & definitely happily ditching a few that I just go meh about, but looking forwards to being able to play some of the great kits that have been recorded.

j u s t  n e e d  m o r e  t i m e ................ :)

Molder

Great to see you're having fun Dragonz, just like I am too. What kit is your favorite one so far?

dragonz

so far, my favourite kit is 44 - 2box live kit my #1. it has a great "live" feel to me when playing, the drums don't feel "squashed" or over damped.

I like the first 5 kits, 30, 69, 94, 95, 96.

The percussion sounds & the backing tracks on other kits are great, what I am working on figuring out is how I can them move things around to have some of these sounds accessible when playing one of the kits I like, & still playing round with the physical setup too.
The sizing of the drums is great to get a good setup, where I'm never overreaching to play, so I'm being a little more experimental than I would/could have with my acoustic kit on drum placement.

I've added an extra tom & cymbal, but now am wondering about how I could also add an extra kick.
I have a double pedal, but the double kick setups I like, have 2 drums with different tuning.
Does anyone know if the kick input is a dual channel one?
If so, if I put a cable splitter in. would I be able to plug 2 kicks into that input?

I don't consider myself a great drummer (far from it) but I love a big kit sound & feel, & have been (slowly) working on my limb independence & this includes working on both feet & hands, but is a real challenge :)
I'm massively strongly Left-handed & my kit is set out as a leftie, but I'm challenging myself to be able to play a kit either way.

edtc

Quote from: dragonz on January 07, 2018, 07:07:10 PM

Does anyone know if the kick input is a dual channel one?
If so, if I put a cable splitter in. would I be able to plug 2 kicks into that input?

no it isn't ... but you should always use a stereo jack :  the tip of the jack is for the piezo sensor , the ring carries 18volts in order to power a LED that was present on MK1 kick pads .

You can still plug 2 kick pads to the kick input , but you ll need a custom made Y splitter : a female TRSjack  with 2  TSjacks wired both to the tip of the TRS female plug (nothing plugged to the ring )

Best thing for you is to use Tom4 input with 2 Bass drum pad and a stereo splitter . So you can easily  have the same sound on both , or two different sounds when needed ... Then use your kick In for something else .