News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hardware for the drumit 5 module

Started by Sevenchaos, October 28, 2017, 06:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevenchaos

Hello.

So i have used drumit 5 module for triggering acoustic drums at my studio.
Im not drummer myself but i do play some percussions and do lots of beats to rap artists and so on.
I brought my shitty alesis sample pad with alesis realhead kick pad and eliminators to my home and my 4yo son was super excited to that thing. He was just stepping over eliminator doubles and bashed that alesis so happily that i decided that i should buy him e-drums for xmas present.

So i was thinking that i can take that drumit 5 module at my studio and build some mesh head set over it. So my question is: what set should i buy? I was thinking that some mid-priced mesh head set could work nicely. I know that hihat doesnt work propably the right way but i can buy 2box own to do the job later when he gets more in to the playing. At start its going to be closed allmost all the time i think  :D

For example i found this set (https://www.gear4music.fi/en/Drums-and-Percussion/Digital-Drums-470X-Mesh-Electronic-Drum-Kit-by-Gear4music/20FQ)
It looks nice, but what the heck is with those inputs? I can propably just convert them to basic trs jacks i think?
I have lots of skills with soldering and electronics so doing things by myself isn’t problem + i love doing it 😂 (soldering 192 point patchbay to my studio wasnt so cool thou)

Im also open for other options.
Only thing that i want is that pads are mesh heads. Cymbals + hihats i can buy separate later. At first i think that even 1 zones works for 4yo.

And thanks for the fantastic forum. I havent even heard of that memorycard mod and going to do it asap. I have komplete 11 and addictive drums allready so going to do that vst transfer thing i read here. Allthough im going to need windows machine since i only have mac pro and mbp. Well thats another thing and doesnt belong to this topic.
Cheers!

welshsteve

Re that kit, you'll probably find no issue with the pads. The only possible problem you may face is hot-spotting. That means you'll notice a reduction of trigger strength from centre to edge of the pad when playing the same velocity hits. If you tune the mesh heads really tight, you'll reduce this and as the pads are small, you might not have enough of an issue for you to notice or to want to rectify. Cannot be certain until you plug one into a drumit5 module though.
Cymbals might be a bigger issue. Certainly for the hihat because the 2box uses a different method to Roland (which I would assume this kit is based) to ascertain its open to closed sound variation. And also this kit is likely to have only a single zone trigger pad.
But, it will transmit midi which you can then edit as you'd like in a DAW.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

wildhorse5678

https://2boxfornewbies.weebly.com/video-10.html

You may want to check my video  above about using Drumit5 with an older Roland kit.

Basically I found some pads wouldn't trigger both  rim and head of drum... but didnt find this a problem gigging,  as I wasnt playimg stuff that required different sounds on the rims. (bit of a gimic )

I would look at a second hand sets ( Roland/Alesis/ yamaha) for sale on ebay and gumtree.  Also, I'm not a mesh head snob and found that rubber pads just as good to play as mesh heads.  Just make sure its a standard 1/4 ins jack that you can plug into the pad.   Cymbals are a problem but again depends on how fancy you are going to get with playing ie a crash is a crash,,, dont really need 3 zones.

Also  as  you've noted there are ways around  this

Sevenchaos

Thanks for the answers guys.
Great videos btw. Very helpful  :rock:

I might actually look for the used set too. And as i mentioned that its mostly for my 4yo son so atm. I dont think that it is so important to have 2 zone toms   :D

I was also actually thinking that if i buy some shitty small acoustic set and put triggers and mesh heads to it and buy 2box cymbals there. One problem thou is that we dont have super much space so its on maybe list. I just actually ordered some more piezos and planning to build r-drum bar styled triggers.
Good thing is that im planning to give drums to him as xmas present so i have time to search answers and best bang for the buck options  :)

I actually might take my module with me and go to different music stores and try them out. Going to ask my trusted studio drummer to help me with this thing so he can play the sets and tell me whats working and whats not  ;D

Thanks for the help guys and if somebody has opinions or other solutions what would help me im very thankful to hear them out.

Sevenchaos

Wanted to tell you that i made my decision and going to buy this set https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/drumkits/pocket-kit , then change mesh heads for it and put triggers too.
Then im just buying 2box hihat + 2 cymbals and thats it.
Looks nice + if my son decides that he wants to start playing more with acoustic heads when his little older we can just change the heads and place that drum set to my rehearsal rooms corner( not at my home )  :drum3:
Thinking that i will build 2 zone triggers to toms and snare r-drum styled.
I can put some photos when i start that project to the diy section if somebody wants to see what im actually going to do  :)