News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2boxers: What do You think about this?

Started by ANGR77, October 08, 2017, 01:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANGR77

Hi all!

I have for some time been fiddling around to find a solution which makes my Roland CY-15R (3 Zones) to work with my 2box module. (I thought this would be nice to solve the last of the 2box Drumit five secrets)

The goal has been to only use passive electronics in my solution. The trick to make it possible is to damp the bow piezo and leave the bell signal untouched and through this create a higher signal for the bell. A Roland cymbal has the piezo on the bow...and a 2box cymbal have the piezo in the bell.

So a bell hit on 2box cymbal will because of the higher amplitude create a bell sound. On Roland Cy-15R it is the opposite. So a bell hit will never be higher than a bow hit...so there have been some challenges to deal with...

I have still some other challenges (especially with the choke) but I thought about posting a video clip what I have been achiving so far for the 2box forums to see what you all think!

https://youtu.be/ow5hswYmHbQ

Best regards

Anders Gronlund / http://www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

digitalDrummer

Looks good. Excellent bell response.
Weird stick though!

ANGR77

Thanks!

Will continue to work with this invention!

(At least I need it myself! :-) )

Best regards

Anders / Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

welshsteve

GREAT DUDE!!! Looks like it actually works a lot better then the 2box cymbal. You're a genius!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

ANGR77

Big thanks welshsteve!

I don’t know about genius...but it was fun to try solve it. It is working fine on my cy-15R. I have also tried it on an old cy-12C/R but here it does not perform so good. :-)

I have also problems with the choke. It is working as function but when you release the choke the piezo creates a light bow hit all the time.

So there are still some challenges to solve.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

welshsteve

Well I hope you solve it (choke issue) For all the owners of the Drumit5, this is a good solution for wanting to use Roland (or similar) cymbals on the kit.
I intend to get a full set of Jobeky ecymbals at some point and this would give me better function that the 2box cymbal pads.

ANGR77

Hi!

We will see if this can be solved...it starts to be complex.

This solution will support 3zone rides with the trigger type switch-piezo-switch.

The Jobeky 3way cymbals do consist of switch-piezo-piezo triggers. Should work with 2box directly without any conversion. (But don’t take it for granted...never tested it)

I think the Jman stealth cymbals do use the same type of trigger setup.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

ANGR77

Hi all!

I did nail the problem with the choke! So I am guessing I have now another offering to launch in the Zourman Drums range of products. :-) The Zourman Drums Roland CY-15R 3 Zone Ride conversion for 2box

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

welshsteve

InTheBox

Will you eventually release a complete "go-between" box? One that takes care of hihat, cymbals etc.. So we don't have to buy 4-5 boxes for our setups?  ;) ;)

digitalDrummer

Quote from: ANGR77 on October 14, 2017, 11:12:35 PM
The Zourman Drums Roland CY-15R 3 Zone Ride conversion for 2box
I'm assuming this will work with all two-cable CY-R variants?

ANGR77

Hi!

Nice to find some feedback on the design!

It would have been fantastic to create a "whole conversion box solution" with all the hi-hat conversions plus 3x Three zone conversions...but as usual - will there really be a market? A lot of work...for a box that probably would sell less than 10 ...I think for the current time - I will launch it as separate boxes.

Allan - Yes, in theory it would work, however, I have tested the solution with a CY-15R...and also CY-12C/R...but the CY-12C/R have very different characteristics and does not actually work very good on my box. So it is the CY-15R which is the focus right now. I will also soon try it with a CY-13R which is more in line and equal to CY-15R.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

ANGR77

Hi again!

For you ones looking for 3 zone ride conversions for 2box Drumit Five - there is now a review available in digitalDrummer of my implementation.

Link to the article: http://digitaldrummermag.com/Latest/Entries/2018/2/adapter-optimises-cys-for-2box.html

best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

digitalDrummer

Quote from: digitalDrummer on November 02, 2017, 05:01:36 AM
I'm assuming this will work with all two-cable CY-R variants?
and that assumption was correct. It works with ATV cymbals!!!

ANGR77

I have tested it with CY-12C/R but I was not too happy with the result. It works but it not Zourman class of implementation. It will require its own settings and electronics.

However - I am very happy to read about the good results of ATVs 18” Ride! Fun!

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com