News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

USB 1.1

Started by boekhour, July 30, 2009, 12:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boekhour

In the manual I read the external interface is based on usb 1.1. Why not usb 2.0, its faster and usb 1.1 is sounds like the 19th century....
By the way, from the information I have seen till now, I like your kit very much!

UC

You know what, I was thinking the same thing, especially seeing as USB 3.0 is not far off...

If my maths is not too far wrong, 12 megabits per second I think works out at about 1.5 megabytes per second - that's roughly 45 minutes to copy across 4Gb. It's not the end of the world, and I doubt you'll be swapping out your entire storage space that often...but it's not that fast either.

Maybe the licensing for USB 1.1 is a lot cheaper?

boekhour

I noticed this because almost all new (cheap) hardware (camera, mp3 players, usbsticks etc) nowadays are using 2.0, it's the new standard for a couple of years now already. And when I used older usb 1.1 hardware at home, it took ages tot copy data... it was one of the reasons to write off this hardware and buy newer stuff.

Maybe theoretically, but when you are on stage and want to swap your 4GB workspace, in a 15/20 minute concertbreak with the use of your laptop, this is not an option because it will take to much time to do this.

Is the underlaying hardware not fast enough to handle 2.0 and therefore they choose to use 1.1?

For me the speed it's not that important because when I've a couple of really good drumkits its good enough for me so, I'll not switch that much. And I like quality over quantity.

ber0ni

Doesn't the module have SD card slot? In that case problem solved...right 8)

Alex

Quote from: ber0ni on July 31, 2009, 06:50:52 AM
Doesn't the module have SD card slot? In that case problem solved...right 8)

I didn't see anything about an SD card slot in the module manual.

The lack of USB 2.0 is a big oversight by 2Box, we're not living in the 90's any more guys!

ber0ni

yeah I just read the manual....no SD slot or any card slot :(

maybe if we wait 3 more years than maybe than there will be usb 2.0 ;)

anyway I don't think that most of us are going to upload 4GB of data at once....like stones sang " Time is on my side"

boekhour

Quote from: ber0ni on July 31, 2009, 09:04:54 AM
maybe if we wait 3 more years than maybe than there will be usb 2.0 ;)

3 years? At that time they should have implemented, USB 3.0, not 2.0.
I think its not a very big issue, but its strange why they didn't implement 2.0, almost all gear nowadays is equipped with that version. Do the guys at 2box ddrumitt5 have an answer why they have chosen 1.1?

Scottie

Hey guys

Just wanted to give you an update on this. 2box will be implementing 3 time lossless compression in a future OS update. So a 30MB file will become 10MB, which i believe will take about 10 seconds to download in to the Unit. Also in effect this will give you three times the storage to play around with  :)

Thanks
Scott

puttenvr

In this case the file needs to be compressed on your computer, before loading it to the brain ?

boekhour

3 times more storage?! That sounds great, so we'll have indeed 12GB available, smart using of the 4GB storage.

My experience with lossless compression is that an orginal audio cd with 700mb of audiodata will be 400 mb (using FLAC) after compression, Lets say roughly a 60% in size compared to the original. The 33% (3:1) you mention is really great or to optimistic? Maybe another compressionratio will appair with the lossless compression of drumsounds, because of the relative simple nature of the drumsound compared to a more complex music cd. Then you may achieve the 3:1.  

Peter W

Toontrack superior 2.0 has 3:1 compression. Maybe they are using the same method.

hwasser

Hmm, USB 3.0 is official released now. The motherboards this winter will have USB 3.0 as a new standard. Actually I think that USB 1-controllers isnt gonna be built for motherboards anymore late next year.

HM

hwasser: As far as I know, USB 2 is downwards compatible with USB 1 and there will be lots of USB 2 devices around, still. I think this is really not an issue.

fishmonkey

i'm backing up my module for the first time now, and it's so slow it hurts! i'm averaging less than 400kB/s. it's going to take over 2 hours at this rate! if the write speeds to the module are even slower (which is usually the way), then loading your own drum kits is a crippled feature.

the thing with USB is that in real world use you never even get close to the theoretical maximum, partly because of all the overhead in the protocol, which is only going to be worse if you are transferring lots of small files...

i can only guess that they went with USB 1.1 to cut costs, but i happily would have paid more to have reasonable transfer speeds.

TheM@x

Wow, first time connection to PC. Slowwwwwwww >:(

Apart from the SD card discussion, why dit they use USB 1.1 if this was supposed to be the main way to copy files to the unit. I realy do not understand.