News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2 box vs Mimic sounds?

Started by hemiboy, October 05, 2017, 11:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemiboy

Been a 2 box owner for a few years and love the sounds compared to any other module I have owned or played. Just asking, sound wise only, not features. Any former or current 2 box owners and current  mimic owners here? How do just the sounds compare? I am pretty confident that the Mimic is more  advanced  feature wise, yes?

welshsteve

Yes, absolutely way more advanced module from the UI to the hardware. Which is why the mimic module alone is way more expensive than a drumit5 kit!
However, sound quality, I don't think it's got any advantage. I mean, if you were doing a Pepsi challenge between the Mimic pro and the drumit5 with the same sounds, I am not sure many would be able to spot a difference.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

edcito

Also note that there's even some mimic users already who are using it to trigger VST's like Superior Drummer 3... a very expensive midi trigger interface!

Chrisk

Quote from: welshsteve on October 06, 2017, 05:09:23 AM
Yes, absolutely way more advanced module from the UI to the hardware. Which is why the mimic module alone is way more expensive than a drumit5 kit!
However, sound quality, I don't think it's got any advantage. I mean, if you were doing a Pepsi challenge between the Mimic pro and the drumit5 with the same sounds, I am not sure many would be able to spot a difference.

how you got mimic to United Kingdom?

wildhorse5678

What is Mimic ..not heard of it

welshsteve

Quote from: chris k on October 06, 2017, 06:31:30 AM
how you got mimic to United Kingdom?

We haven't (yet) Doubt it will be here anytime until mid next year. I am basing that opinion from what I have heard so far. It's an impressive module though, no doubt about that. It ought to be at that cost though.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

JRage

Posted by some mistake.

ANGR77

Mimic is of course an interesting module and the real benefit is around the 24 bit sound and the added multisound dimensions with adjustable room mics etc - which can be changed on the fly in Mimic.

On 2box this needs to be set when bouncing out the sound from the source into dsdn file format.

The Mimic is a bit closed today, if you want to add more sounds. You can currently only add single shot samples. There has been announced an editor to Mimic for handling multilayer sounds...but it will not include support for the room mics and other dimensions etc. This can only be supported by the factory sounds in Mimic. Hopefully so will Pearl/Slate release more sound packs. In 2box we have the Drumit editor and dsoundtool since many years. Dsoundtool is used in the fantastic SDSE software to export your best VST sounds for 2box.

So the 2box seems to still be a good choice!

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Jman

I've been working with the Mimic Pro for a week now. I've posted already a bit on Facebook. So, it is like ..... hit repeat .... LOL. so I don't want to write all the same things over ... if you want to visit my Stealth Drums facebook page ... feel free: https://www.facebook.com/StealthDrums/
So, yeah as others have mentioned they definitely will need to add expansion packs, and hopefully the Editor will have the option to add plenty of unique velocities for the mult-velocity samples when finished although the sounds will not have all the mics and features available like the on board sounds. So, at present with only "ONE LONELY COWBELL" as far as percussion instruments in the Mimic .... my 2Box modules aren't about to be going away .... still an incredible module ... the trusty 2Box Drumit Five!

But the Mimic Pro module is pretty incredible, best trigger parameter adjustments I've ever used on a module, very deep, to the point that you could use "almost" any pad you throw at it .... except presently as Allan discovered the Rim portion of the In Box of the In Head or On Head will not work.... I'm sure they'll figure out an algorithm for that eventually. I've got all my Stealth Drums and Cymbals dialed in excellent.

What I am starting to like more and more about the Mimic though is the way the drums were recorded and how that feels and sounds at the kit. Because you have all the Mics ..... overheads, directs, room, and  it is recorded pretty typically ..... where you of course have the Cymbals in the Overheads ..... having the other drums and cymbals in the overheads too, even if they are direct miced ..... it just has a really nice, real sound/feel to it. There is also reverb, compression, etc. But just the way the kit blends in all the mics is something I like. And with the Direct mics for example on the snare or toms ..... you can add as much of that, adjust how much direct sound goes into the mix ..... it gives you a lot to work with ....  if you know what I mean ... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jman

Just so you 2Box Guys don't get too envious of the Mimic. I've been playing with the Mimic for more than a week now and since I am doing a whole lot of specific kit piece and trigger configurations I don't have the 2Box on most of the time ...... I have both modules run into my mixer with multiple direct outs. Today at the end of the day I cranked on both modules ....... Sound wise, the 2Box is great, I honestly could not say that the Mimic sounds better than the 2Box ..... Period ...... The 2Box module is still excellent IMO. There are lots of mixing/studio features in the Mimic ...... but in the end ...... just listening to the sounds, the 2Box still stands proud ..... J

ANGR77

Many thanks for the honestly report, Jman!

I started to think that everybody were on their way to convert to a Mimic. (I will personally not invest unless the editor is released...otherwise it is just a nice VST appliance module)

Good to hear the Drumit Five still is a great device (just as Mimic) and to get this confirmed that it still delivers when comparing!

Deve made a great design once upon a time...we can just keep our thumbs that he will strike the market again!

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

nocturnodrummer

I've just realised that Deve is not a name...  ::) Deve Loper. developer. ugh, after all those years my brain finally conected the dots.

Jman

I put together a quick video mainly just to demo my Stealth Drums, Cymbals and PDP/FD Hi Hat Stand/Controller with the Pearl Mimic Pro. I do love the deep trigger parameter editing and complete studio package at your disposal in the Mimic. J
https://youtu.be/ch2O5BwBx28