News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Kick drum problem!

Started by sinnethsoul, September 05, 2017, 10:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinnethsoul

Hi. I ' m new here. I have my 2box set and I don't know if you have same problems with kick trigger. It seems to be very poorly responding. I adjusted all settings put treshhold to max but still need to use lots of power. All other pads are much more sensitive but kick is not acting in the same way. Mesh head is touching the trigger and I lowered beaters closer to the sensor and there is a bit better now but still can't get the thing working as I would expect. Has anybody had some similar issue and can help me please ?

Murgen

I try to figure out what is wrong, have you tried another cable?
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

welshsteve

If it's not always done this and this poor response is something that has happened recently, then I would say with some surety that you have a broken piezo.

They're cheap to replace and just a small piece of soldering required. Piezos normally come from an electronics place pre wired so it's only to the jack socket you need to solder it.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

sinnethsoul

Unfortunately I have no other unit to test in my area. 
If you could do me a favourite and check yours drums. I am hitting the pads with regular drums stick with the same intensity and I have response from all pads, except the kick drum. I need to hit the mesh head significantly harder to get the sound from it. Is it same with yours??? 
Much appreciate your help and quick response to the question.

Murgen

Can you swap the cables from your kick and one of your toms to eliminate a bad cable?
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

sinnethsoul

Yes, I tried this already... it is not a cable. I swapped a few cords around and I am sure it is not the source of problem.
I did simple test to recognise the issue.
I hit all pads with the same power with a regular drum stick. All pads response quite similarly but when I hit the bass drum, to get the sound I need to hit it significantly harder. Does your work the same way?
Thank you

Jman

Quote from: sinnethsoul on September 05, 2017, 10:48:22 PM
Hi. I ' m new here. I have my 2box set and I don't know if you have same problems with kick trigger. It seems to be very poorly responding. I adjusted all settings put treshhold to max but still need to use lots of power.
When you say you put threshold to Max ....... it might be just a confusion in terms, but the Lowest threshold setting is the most sensitive. Threshold goes in the Negative range, dial turning to the Left. -48 is the lowest most sensitive setting.

The Kick drum is setup for a beater so I doubt you will get the same response with a drum stick as the other pads, the main thing is that it responds correctly with the beater. If you set your threshold low and raise the gain and you still do not get good response most likely the piezo has a bad solder joint or needs to be replaced.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

sinnethsoul

Yes, you are right :) The lowest the more sensitive...
I have opened the kick drum again and I have noticed there is a thin rubber patch glued to the top of the piezo...  all other pads contact the membrane directly with its metalic-gold surface. I removed this patch and the response is a LOT better now. I can hear now the whole spectrum of bass drum sound, so it looks like the problem is solved now. I don't know what is the reason to insulate the sensor with this rubber patch...
Thank you again.

rafaelfreitas

Quote from: sinnethsoul on September 06, 2017, 05:37:15 PM
Yes, you are right :) The lowest the more sensitive...
I have opened the kick drum again and I have noticed there is a thin rubber patch glued to the top of the piezo...  all other pads contact the membrane directly with its metalic-gold surface. I removed this patch and the response is a LOT better now. I can hear now the whole spectrum of bass drum sound, so it looks like the problem is solved now. I don't know what is the reason to insulate the sensor with this rubber patch...
Thank you again.

Mate, thanks a lot for sharing it! I would never notice that rubber on the trigger! I had the same problem and I ended up buying a Roland Kick pad. But at least now I'm using this kick pad as a second floor tom and it's triggering pretty decently! :animal: