News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What Roland cymbals for Ride and Crash ?

Started by Pret, September 05, 2017, 02:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pret

Did a search in the forum, cannot not figure any definite opinion on that...
Since my recent major move to Drumit 5, my old Alesis cymbals give me hard life...the Ride in particular drives me nuts  :-\ being just unplayable once connecetd to the module (works fine with its one Alesis module). Totally inconsistent triggering and volume performance, even through connected properly thanks to Deve's enlightment in the other thread...

I'm willing to upgrade to Roland cymbals for Ride and Crash.
The choices are CY-12C or CY-13R.
For Crash a single zone is good enough (if reliable and fully controllable), for Ride I'd need two zones (bow and bell) at least. If the third zone (Edge for Crash) cannot be operable - not a deal braker (can be solved by third cymbal for second Crash if needed)
Choke is highly desirable as well

What would you recommend based on reliability and controllability ?

edcito

Why not the 2box Pads? they are 3 Zone and less expensive than the Roll ands

Pret

Well, two reasons: 2box does not supported as a brand locally, cannot buy locally. Ordering from Thomann is an option of course.
From my online research I notice quite notable statistics of mechanical issues with them during normal abuse (being a cymbal...) - raise the question of reliability
So if this would happen - see reason 1...I will not have local support to take care of it... sending back to abroad will set me back for a long time and the amount of the frustration (also due to "re-importing" fixed items) might be a real pain in my ...

welshsteve

I have had my 2box cymbals for 5 years and the faults I have experienced are 1. The rubber wearing away at the edge, which doesn't affect the cymbals performance. 2. broken piezo which was a pig to repair. Generally I think they're really robust and reliable. And 3. the piezo coming a little loose causing double triggering when hit at medium velocities.

To combat problem 1, never have the cymbal positioned at too shallow and angle to where you hit it, much like actual cymbals.

Problem 2 is a luck of the draw type of deal.

Problem 3 was fixed with some glue easy peasy!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!