News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Trigger socket issue!

Started by gregsim, September 05, 2017, 01:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsim

Hello everybody!

I have a 2box since a couple of years and I'm suddenly having the following issue :
the TOM2 trigger socket of the module seems to no longer works.
There is no signal when I plug the jack cable...

I tested the Jack cable on another tom, and on another input trigger socket, it is not involved.
I tested another tom on this input trigger socket, no signal ...
Everything else works normally.

Have someone ever had a similar case?

I do not want to jump into the opening of the module ... :-\

Thank you in advance for your precious help!!

Greg

welshsteve

I have never heard of this happening to anyone else. But I have had similar issues with other equipment (Mixer, amplifier, effects inputs/outputs etc) so it's no unheard of in electronic devices. If it's the same issue as them, I'd guess it's a solder joint on one of the terminals for that input.

I would take it to an electrical engineer who would make a simple re solder of the terminal(s) to the PCB. I wouldn't suggest doing this yourself unless you have experience. I am guessing you do not otherwise you'd have supposed this as the fault already.

Good luck!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

gregsim

Thanx a lot welshsteve for your interest at my issue! :)

I would also say it is a solder joint problem, that needs to be re-soldered.
A little remark however: the 'more' signal (i mean the signal affected to the rim of the tom) works on this socket!!

Quite strange ...  :o

Before going to an electrical engineer, I think I will try to clean the socket with a cleaner of this type: https://www.thomann.de/en/kontakt_chemie_kontakt_60.htm

Has somebody ever tried it?

Thank you! :)

Drum2

Please don't use kontakt 60, it will corrode metal parts. Better use WD40, it will clean the contacts without harm.
I don't think this will solve your problem, but you ca try.

Did you look into the sockets to compare them? I know someone had a bent contact in there..

Jman

Quote from: gregsim on September 06, 2017, 09:05:52 AM

A little remark however: the 'more' signal (i mean the signal affected to the rim of the tom) works on this socket!!
There are 3 parts to the plug/jack: Tip, Ring, Sleeve. Tip and Sleeve for the Head. Ring and Sleeve for the Rim. So obviously the part that is the problem is the Tip. Since you have eliminated the TRS cable most likely it is something bent or broken in the jack, or as suggested earlier a solder joint of the jack.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/