News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Toms used with DrumIt 5 module

Started by Pret, August 11, 2017, 02:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of toms do you use with our DrumIt 5 module ?

Original 2box
4 (44.4%)
Roland PDX100 and similar sensor center-positioned triggers
1 (11.1%)
Converted acoustic toms with mesh head and  side- positioned internal sensor
3 (33.3%)
Converted acoustic with external sensor
0 (0%)
Other types
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pret

Trying to get the idea what kind of toms/triggers people use with DrumIt 5 module
Just to understand what to choose for toms building the set around the module...

welshsteve

I use the 2box pads, trigit rim mounted Triggers, every single ddrum trigger made, Triggera and pintech ones with mesh and Mylar heads.
Best head trigger by a country mile is the aquarian in head, but they make and acoustic noise like a normal drum heads. Absolutely NO double trigger or cross talk at all.
I've not tried the OnHead system so I'd imagine it to be the same minus the noise. But you'd need an acoustic drum to mount them on.
For just pads the 2box pads work great. But for a AE conversion, I'd go with trigit or Triggera internal Triggera with a good double ply mesh head on  whatever acoustic drum you've got.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Pret

I'm going to do a2e to the snare, have the snare ready just waiting for Intrigg to arrive
But toms .. unfortunately have no real estate at home to set up full sized acoustic toms...
So the only solution is toms of the size of common electrical pads
Perhaps toms of 2box would be indeed the proper choice... unless would be able to test them with Roland pads

welshsteve

I would certainly try Roland ones if you can before you buy. The rubber ones will work fine on the RUB trig settings at a guess. I use the Roland BT1 on that and they're fine. I did have to dick a little bit with the trigger settings but I got there without any major issue.
You do see 2box pads going on Ebay from time to time too.

Pret

Well, the whole upgrade idea is to move to mesh heads for quietness and convenience
Just thought perhaps the wise solution would be to pick new 2box toms (Thomann still sells brand new) and enjoy them. I'm not heavy hitter, they should serve me well for the time being..and then if further upgrade will be on the horizon, perhaps the real estate solution will be found to allow full a2e route...
(I would really like a normally-sized drums but with quietness of the mesh heads)

welshsteve

Just had a reply from a chap that uses Roland pads with 2box module with no issues. He's using the PD-105s and loves them.

Pret

Does PD-105 have also center-located sensor ? just like PDX-100 ?
Just checked, it appears to be replaced by 108 by Roland, but 105 can still be found brand new at triple price of brand new 2box pad :-)

stickcharmer

I have to admit, I've tried the AtoE with some cheap junior size pearl drums. I wanted to get back to a full size and a better trigger response. I am very happy with the ddrum hybrid set. They trigger very well,  no cross talk, and imo look good. Price is reasonable as well.  These are not dual zone, however. I don't care at all about that... More cymbal/pad options!

welshsteve

As far as I am aware, all Roland mesh pads are centre mounted Piezo with one on the rims. The general consensus is side mounted piezos have more overall consistency whereas Roland will suffer from a degree of hot spotting. But the guy I spoke to made out that it's negligible enough for it to not be noticed or be an issue.

Darthsleader

Hey Folks.

For the last year, I've been using Jobeky drums (toms and snare, with a homemade matching bass drum with Pearl TruTrac head-mounted trigger pad).

Here are my impressions:

These are, currently, the best e-drums I've ever played, and I've used a LOT of different drums over the years! That being said, I should mention some mods and issues...

I am using Billy Blast 3-ply mesh heads, and they are absolutely the closest thing to Mylar available. I've tried basically everything else; these are the way to go. Very durable as well.

The Jobeky side-mounted trigger is basically an L-shaped piece of sheet metal which is mounted under a lug screw, with the head trigger on top of the metal "shelf", and the rim trigger mounted on the bottom. This just didn't really work, at least in my experience (and I've fussed with it a LOT). Having the Rim and Head triggers mounted to the exact same piece makes getting separation a real issue. I ended up buying Pintech rim triggers (a regular piezo, with a "finger" of metal soldered on that attaches under a lug screw). I have the Pintech triggers mounted to a lug screw nearest the drummer, while the Jobeky head trigger mount is mounted to a lug screw farthest from the drummer. This has helped immensely.

Additionally, I have removed the thick black rubber Rim Trim and instead replaced it with clear vinyl tubing from the hardware store. This greatly increases the impact of rim hits, allowing me to reduce the trigger gain of the rim, which again increases the head/rim separation. It also looks better- it basically just looks like an acoustic drum. Admittedly, it's louder than the rubber though (but not an issue for me).

My only complaint at this point is, the head triggers are TOO hot. Even at "0" on the 2Box Trigger Gain, they max out too easily. I've heard of people adding resistors to piezos... I may try that someday.

Jobeky toms are available in various sizes. Mine are: 8x5, 10x5, 12x5, 13x5, and 14x5 (I think that's all the available sizes).

Hope that helps!

Jer