News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Cables for Drumit 5 to off-brand pads

Started by Pret, August 02, 2017, 05:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pret

Finally had the chance to purchase a used module for a good price
Learning the manual I noticed advise upon stereo cables to be used to hook up the pads to the module.
Once will receive the module will begin with my current Alesis DM6 set, then will gradually upgrade.
I don't know what exactly 2box manual means stating "stereo" cable, but checked the current cables connections on my Alesis set.
All of the pads have regular plugs with two leads (tip and back lead), while the snare cable looks like having 3 leads (tip, middle lead, back lead).

So what exactly they mean by "stereo" cables ?
Which snare cable to I need to connect to "Snare" input of the module ? Shall it be just regular 2 leads one or need to find triple lead cable ?

In near future I intend to make a2e conversion for snare with regular acoustic wooden snare and internal Triggera trigger. What cable will be needed then ?

welshsteve

A stereo cable or as they're often referred to as 1/4" TRS cables are like the snare one you described. Using single tipped cables (like the ones on the toms you said) will not be a problem but it will mean that toms/snare will only give you the head trigger, not the rim. With cymbals, it will prevent you having the choke function. Fine for the kick drum as that's a single zone pad/input anyway. Not sure what it would do on the hihat pad/input but I am pretty darn sure it will not function properly.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Pret

Thank
Wow... I almost pulled the trigger for a 10 of regular single-tipped cables...
Weird but I wasn't able to figure 1/4 TRS angled/straight cables on Thomann.de where I intend to order from..
So I realize I need the proper 1/4" TRS cables like that of my current snare for all but kick pad which is anyway single-zone..

But once transforming acoustic care into e with Triggera Intrig, will then I also need 1/4 TRS triple-lead cable ? I understand Intrigg has only single sensor...(albeit allegedly triggers head and rim )

welshsteve

Triggera have a sensor for the rim too, so you'll need stereo (1/4" TRS) cables if you want the rim to tigger too. Many decide to have the Toms as mono triggers and have a Y-splitter cable so you can use the RIM of your Tom inputs on the 2box module as extra toms, percussion, cymbals etc. But remember if you chose to do that, they'll (whatever you connect to the RIM input of Tom channels)  also be single zone triggers.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Coda

If you can solder and are ordering from Thomann, get some of that thin coax cable and some straight stereo jacks and build your own cables. At the pad end, solder it first, then bend the shield pin at 90 degrees and then coat it with hot glue (choose a colour!  :P). Instant 90 degree self-made cables. Leave them straight at the module end. Thomann also sell a spool of double sided velcro tape you can cut into lengths to attach the cables to the rack. My setup have been gigged for about 3 years now, without issues.

Pret

Yeah, good DIY joy.. :-)
Well I placed an order with Thomann already for a proper cables for entire system.
As for the snare I decided to do the following:
Ordered short angled to angled TRS male-male cable (about half meter long) and double-side lockable adapter plug TRS female-female. I will drill while in the shell to insert and fix the adapter plug, the inside the snare will hook the trigger with the inner part of the adapter plug by that short TRS cable.
This way I'll have the complete a2e snare with now cable tail permanently dragging outside the snare but rather a short female adapter plug. This will be attached to the module by an external regular TRS cable just like any other natural electronic pad.

edtc

Pret

Great option !
I'd go this way wouldn't I order already the cables and plugs...

ANGR77

Hi!

I once felt sorry for drilling in the drums (a pair of new Sonors) to fit a 1/4 trs female teleplugg.

I ended up with my own solution...which have worked fantastic for several years.

https://powerhell.wordpress.com/about/zourman/poor-mans-td-20/installing-quartz-percussion-on-harness-in-sonor-1007/

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com / hi-hat conversion modules for 2box
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

edtc

nice design , but it should be a bit noisy to have a real reso head ... Did you try with a shitty 1 ply meshhead , like pearl or tama ones ..?

ANGR77

Hi!

I don't have the feeling that the reso head adds a lot of noise.
I was once tempted to use the 682Drums special heads for bottom drums... but I did not. :-)

Over the time I also mounted DMX controlled LED stripes inside the drum and placed the connector in the same way.

https://powerhell.wordpress.com/about/zourman/poor-mans-td-20/install-led-stripes-in-e-drums/

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com