Pearl Modern Utility 13x5 snare A2E conversion with Triggera internal ?

Started by Pret, July 29, 2017, 09:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pret

So far only edrums experience as self-taught amateur..
Trying to slowly build my set around either DrumIt 5 or 3, whichever will come first to my hands
Have been advised to avoid center-triggered snares if driven by 2box module,
hence doubting the Roland 128S snare which I considered previously.

Now consider to pick a regular acoustic snare and convert one with triggera internal trigger.
Willing to pick an inexpensive 13" snare suck as Pearl Modern Utility an to use Roland 2ply meshhead

Any opinions/experiences with similar setup ?
Does that snare suit ?
Would Triggera internal trigger be a good match ?

welshsteve

I used the Triggera on a Mylar head and it worked a treat. Mesh would probably as good though you may need some foam dampening under the head to achieve most playable dynamics without having to adjust mask time. But I'm guessing that. The trigit external mounted triggers do need some foam dampening. But as I didn't need any of Mylar, you might not need it with a intrig trigger from Triggera.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

edtc

It s allways usefull tu add some dampening ... 2BOX pads have foam rings all around the mesh head , so i guess it s good to stick to this design ...

and foam is so cheap if not free ...:)

edtc

and by the way n try to find a cheap second hand Pearl Rythm traveller ..

Very easy to convert to E-drum ...

They have 2 kits ,
one with  20"x8" kick , 10x3.5" 12"x4" 14"x5" toms , 13"x5" snare
the other one with  16"x8" kick ,  8x3.5" 10"x4" 12"x5" toms , 10"x4" snare ...

Chose depending on what size you have for your set , but both kits are easy to convert ... the first has bigger shells , but tom mount is 22mm pearl L arms , the second has TAMA/ROLAND/GIBRALTAR compatible L rods  .
If 10" is too small for a snare , you can use the 12" tom , and have 8" + two 10" toms ...

I bought a 20 13 10 12 14 set some years ago when i bougnt my DRUMIT5 , 240â,¬ incl shipping

with hardware , shitty one ply meshheads ( still useable for reso head ) and it came  with a vintage Paiste formula6o2 20" medium ride .... what a big cherry on a low cost cake ... ;) it was one lucky day ...

Pret

Thanks for the feedbacks
Well I intend to convert only snare, the rest would most certainly be Roland stuff: 120BK kick and regular 10 to 12" pads for toms.
I'm very limited on space for the set. Now have a mere of a humble Alesia DM6 set and that is about as much space as I have for the "renovation".
Hence regular size acoustic toms and kick are out of question.
The only what can be considered for a2e is snare (want to be detached from the rack)

Is there any known places in the cyberspace to acquire a properly sized foam for a standard 13" or 14" snare ?

StudioG4

Pret

Thanks, looks like worth to give a shot...
Do they fit with Roland 2ply meshhead I intend to go with ?

mjolson

I'm using the Triggera internal triggers with single ply remo heads.  As others have stated, dampening is the key.  I simply added a ring of 1" square a/c weatherseal (held in place with L brackets) and they work great now.  If you go with the Remo Muffl you'll need to cut out a spot for the trigger as they are side mounted.