News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drum-tec Diablo snares vs Roland PD-128S (DrumIt 5 module)

Started by Pret, July 15, 2017, 07:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pret

Hello all
I'm on the virtue of building a new kit, driven by DrumIt 5 (or 3 if will be available till then which is unlikely)
Recently discovered Drum-Tec pads option as possible alternative to Roland.
Comparative-wise I mosly interested in Drum-Tec Diablo 12x5 or 13x5 snare vs Roland PD-128S-BK.
Couldn't figure much of direct comparison online, perhaps here ?

Quality ? Playability ? Reliability ? All hooked to 2Box module

What would be your choice and why ?

puttenvr

I played drum-tec snares with my drumit5 and the centre triggers are too hot
The module is made for rim side triggers
Also the rims did not work that good
So I will advice you to wait for the drumit3 which is compatible with more pads.

Pret

Thanks for the opinion
Frankly, a bit surprised to hear they do not fit well to DrumIt 5..
Perhaps Drum-Tec knew exactly why they mentioned that their heads are specifically fit to Roland modules...
Must confess their heads look more appealing to my eyes then of Roland...too bad functionally are not perfect with 2box..

Now...go figure when 2box finally release 3. Said end of summer, but my gut feeling is rather towards November... and then yet no one knows whether they are really so universal..
Perhaps just to go for PD-128S which probably is better fit to DrumIt 5 ?

edtc

My 2 cents ...

Go buy a cheap 12, 13 or 14" snare drum , a good 3 ply mesh head , and a internal side mounted trigger . Wronka and Triggera have some good ones ... very easy to unstall , and much cheaper than roland stuff ...

Pret

Would it be as good in performance as Roland or 2box snares while hooked to DrumIt 5 ?
Will such solution offer also reliable rim sensing ?
This is new approach for me...albeit sounds interesting..

edcito

you will have a hard time with centered trigger drums from roland, drumtec, etc. The best results are achieved with side mounted triggers, the rim will trigger easily and the head wont be that hot. I tried the 2box with the cheapest roland pdx8 and pdx6 pads and they triggered perfectly out of the box with very minimal tweaking.

Pret

Ok sound reassuring..
Are those PDX-8 side-triggered but newer heads of Roland are center-triggered ?

StudioG4

I use Wronka side mounted triggers and they work exceptionally well but unfortunately I think he is no longer in business. A real shame.
Tony G

Pret

Sounds great
But I thought why not external side trigger with a regular acoustic snare ? This is instead of modifing that snare for internal one ?
What would work better ? Internal side or external side triggers with DrumIt 5 ?

edtc

Quote from: Pret on July 19, 2017, 12:20:05 PM
Sounds great
But I thought why not external side trigger with a regular acoustic snare ? This is instead of modifing that snare for internal one ?
What would work better ? Internal side or external side triggers with DrumIt 5 ?

internal trigger is definitely a better choice ...

External side triggers are more fragile , less reliable . Rim triggering can be tricky . They are also more bulky and expensive .

An internal one cant be touched or hitted accidentally ... Also during transport the trigger can move , and piezo's wire soldering dont like movements ... they can break rapidely , especially when you mount/unmount the trigger from the drum .

Installing an internal one is no rocket science ... just remove the head , unscrew 2 lug screws , manage for the cable to go out and voila ...   

As the whole assembly is mounted to the shell , head/rim crosstalk should be better and triggering more even across the hoop ...

have a look on google , there are videos that shows how to install a trigger  ...

Pret

Great, many thanks
Appears like the way to follow...