News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box module with other pads/snare/cymbals

Started by Bwilk121, June 01, 2017, 06:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bwilk121

Hi all,

I'm new to drumming and was looking at a Roland td11, issue is when I listen to most of the cymbal sound especially the ride they sound awe full.

I'm aware of ezdrummer which seems like it would work very well.

I stumbled across the 2box on a forum and just from listening to YouTube videos of players seems to have a much more natural sound.

I've read that the 2box needs 2 box hi hats and may not trigger all the zones on Roland pads.
This is true?

Ideally I'd like to pick up a used 2box and bits and pieces of different kits so I can do this on the cheap. Good idea? Are some brands more compatible than others?

Also I've read that their is a very big curve for implementing vst's, this is still the case?
I'm reasonably technical but have little knollege in this area.

Cheers for any help

welshsteve

Quote from: Bwilk121 on June 01, 2017, 06:24:14 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to drumming and was looking at a Roland td11, issue is when I listen to most of the cymbal sound especially the ride they sound awe full.

I'm aware of ezdrummer which seems like it would work very well.

I stumbled across the 2box on a forum and just from listening to YouTube videos of players seems to have a much more natural sound.

I've read that the 2box needs 2 box hi hats and may not trigger all the zones on Roland pads.
This is true?

Ideally I'd like to pick up a used 2box and bits and pieces of different kits so I can do this on the cheap. Good idea? Are some brands more compatible than others?

Also I've read that their is a very big curve for implementing vst's, this is still the case?
I'm reasonably technical but have little knollege in this area.

Cheers for any help

You can use a Roland hihat controller with either Zumann's box or Jman's hihat conversion. Otherwise you would need the 2box hihat controller as it is.

The VST export requires two major things, a PC based computer (although other's have used a windows partition like boot camp on a mac, myself I couldn't get the window's side to communicate via the ports and gave up at the first hurdle... as is my impatient nature) with Lustar's softwares and Ezdrummer, Superior drummer or suchlike installed on that windows machine.

There's a bit more to it than that but I believe that's the things you'll need first up. There's a thread on it at the top of the general posts.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Bwilk121

Hey man thanks,

It looks like those hi hat solutions could be very workable!

The general consensus is that 2box sounds better than most modules out of the box no?

I'm looking at either a cheap dm10 , should cost me about â,¬1,000 all up. Would most recommend this above a stock Roland td11 let's say?

welshsteve

Not for me, I don't think any of the Alesis modules below the Strike module match up to anything Roland make, but that's just my opinion.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Coda

Quote from: Bwilk121 on June 02, 2017, 08:07:21 PM
The general consensus is that 2box sounds better than most modules out of the box no?

Correct. That's because most modules use generated sounds, not samples. 2box was the first to do it (properly) and now there are a couple other makes of kits that work this way (like the Alesis Strike, and The Mark Bass company built something too but I don't know what hapenned to that).

Quote from: Bwilk121Ideally I'd like to pick up a used 2box and bits and pieces of different kits so I can do this on the cheap.

Depends on your definition of cheap. I thought the same, and I built all my own drum shells and cymbals, I still have playability issues with the hihat which I've had to spend 700 EUR to replace with a Zildjian Gen16. So, not cheap, for the same money you could have a fantastic acoustic set :P

Quote from: welshsteve
The VST export requires two major things, a PC based computer (although other's have used a windows partition like boot camp on a mac, myself I couldn't get the window's side to communicate via the ports and gave up at the first hurdle... as is my impatient nature) with Lustar's softwares and Ezdrummer, Superior drummer or suchlike installed on that windows machine.

I did do the bootcamp option once in the beginning, but not being able to use the machine while rendering did my head in. So I tried VMWare fusion which was ok if not a bit slower, and later I switched to Parallels and in testing I found that Parallels renders slightly quicker (its all about speed of disk access I guess). Using a VM at least I can change back to my mac desktop and do other stuff while the SDSE software is creating new kits.