News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hihat randomly triggering

Started by drumadave, April 09, 2017, 04:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drumadave

Hi all

I've not had my drumit 5 MKII kit long and I'm already encountering several problems!

I'm not sure what's happened but whilst calibrating the threshold level on the pads etc, the hihat (seemingly randomly) has started triggering on its own.  I didn't save the settings and turned the module off only to find on restarting the random sounds have returned.  When I turn the threshold right down (so nothing plays) it goes away, but on turning back up there seems to be no middle ground, only silent or sporadic triggering.

It surely can't be a coincidence?  Is there something I have altered by accident?

welshsteve

Without knowing for sure, this is the kind of thing which happens if you have a faulty cable, the cable may work but has a weak connection. I don't know the physics of it, but this can cause sporadic connection and disconnection of the pad which the module will interpret as a hit. Try one of the pad cables instead and see what that happens. Also, make sure the hihat channel is set to HiHAT... And obvious one, but you'd not be the first to have made that mistake (I did once!!)
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

drumadave

I've tried a new cable and it's still doing it.

I even restored the original files back on the module and still no change!

It's looking more and more like the hihat is faulty.  If so, it looks like I will have return the whole kit and rack as it is part of the original purchase!  >:(

Jman

Quote from: drumadave on April 09, 2017, 06:25:37 PM
I've tried a new cable and it's still doing it.

I even restored the original files back on the module and still no change!

It's looking more and more like the hihat is faulty.  If so, it looks like I will have return the whole kit and rack as it is part of the original purchase!  >:(
What is the Gain set at for the Hi Hat?
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

welshsteve

Quote from: drumadave on April 09, 2017, 04:26:56 PM
Hi all

I've not had my drumit 5 MKII kit long and I'm already encountering several problems!

I'm not sure what's happened but whilst calibrating the threshold level on the pads etc, the hihat (seemingly randomly) has started triggering on its own.

Just to clarity, the hihat triggers when you are setting threashold on the pad, so you're hitting the pads and the hihat is triggering? Is this is what's happening.

Or do yuh mean the hihat triggers when you adjust the threashold on pad 1 for example and you're not playing anything?

If it's the former, then like it's been mentioned, it is likely a gain vs threashold issue. Also cross talk but we'll get to that in a minute. So  set the gain right first. They say that hardest hits should light up at -1 db or aomerbybv. But I think it's okay to hit 0 at your hardest hits, I mean like the that little bit above your general loud notes on normal playing. 

Then on your quietest, like not the quietest you can play, but do play. Do that and raise the threashold from lowest setting (-46 or something it is) up until your notes stop triggering. It'll probably be about -20 or something like that. When that happens, reduce it enough so that the notes trigger again.

If you still get hihat notes when you play a Tom Tom for example, look at cross talk on hihat. Start with low, then med then high. If it doesn't cure it that is. But once you get that high it becomes a bit crap to play because you can forget about ghost notes between hihat and Tom as they just won't play.

Anyway, hope you get it figured out!

Sorry if I've told you what you might already know too.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!