News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Say hello to the Drumit 3

Started by edcito, April 03, 2017, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walse

Quote from: Jman on March 07, 2018, 06:46:00 PM
Edit .... actually I will ask the question about using the 3 zone Yamaha pads/cymbals with the new OS on the Drumit Five ...... since those are only single output type pads/cymbals .... not sure, I obviously don't own any Yamaha stuff ..... I'm pretty sure you will only be able to use the 3 zone Yamaha pads/cymbals with the DI3 ...... but will find out.
Verified: Yamaha 3 zone will work for the DI3 only.

What a pity! Then I will cancel my order. Amazon had a new drumit five module for sale, only for 380â,¬, but I need the hihat Roland compatibility and I want to keep the three zones of my Yamaha PCY-135 cymbals.

I'm going to wait for a Drumit three module.

Jman

Well, the whole point of the Drumit Three was to put out a 2Box module with expanded compatibility for other brand pads but a little trimmed down on outputs, at an affordable price. There has never even been a hint that the discontinued DI5 module would change in pad compatibility???? I was surprised a little that a new OS will be coming out for the DI5. That is unheard of with other companies, like Roland for example.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

96max5sp

Quote from: Jman on March 07, 2018, 10:49:47 PM
Well, the whole point of the Drumit Three was to put out a 2Box module with expanded compatibility for other brand pads but a little trimmed down on outputs, at an affordable price. There has never even been a hint that the discontinued DI5 module would change in pad compatibility???? I was surprised a little that a new OS will be coming out for the DI5. That is unheard of with other companies, like Roland for example.

It's true they never said they would change compatibility, even if they did i know it would be another promised in 2 months but would take 2 years. :P

I admit i know nothing about modules and how simple it would have been to upgrade the drumit 5 software for compatibility but it seems like it would have been easy. I am aware of the alternatives like your conversions and zourman's but still would be nice to have more mainstream options available. With brands like Rolands they at least have more module options with greater compatibility even without being updated. The 2box Drumit 5 has had limited cymbal compatibility and now without their hardware being available, they left behind current owners who would like more outputs then there only current Drumit 3 offering. I just would have liked at least defaults for other brand cymbals for 2 zones and 3 zone for Yamaha even though i know that 2 zones are possible already with most cymbals if you fiddle with the settings.

All this being said the 2 less outputs is not a deal breaker for me, i will probably be "upgrading" to the Drumit 3 to get that built in compatibility.

Jman

Quote from: 96max5sp on March 08, 2018, 01:59:37 PM
It's true they never said they would change compatibility, even if they did i know it would be another promised in 2 months but would take 2 years. :P

I admit i know nothing about modules and how simple it would have been to upgrade the drumit 5 software for compatibility but it seems like it would have been easy. I am aware of the alternatives like your conversions and zourman's but still would be nice to have more mainstream options available. With brands like Rolands they at least have more module options with greater compatibility even without being updated. The 2box Drumit 5 has had limited cymbal compatibility and now without their hardware being available, they left behind current owners who would like more outputs then there only current Drumit 3 offering. I just would have liked at least defaults for other brand cymbals for 2 zones and 3 zone for Yamaha even though i know that 2 zones are possible already with most cymbals if you fiddle with the settings.

All this being said the 2 less outputs is not a deal breaker for me, i will probably be "upgrading" to the Drumit 3 to get that built in compatibility.
The thing is they really Couldn't just do a software update to make the DI5 compatible for other brand pads like the DI3. That is what took so long for the release of the DI3 ...... they had to start over. It isn't just software changes, it is hardware/component changes that had to be made. So, the point is moot. J

Chrisk

Warning before trying to open drumit3

Reported from users: The 2Box SD card mod is history on the drumit 3! The Display is glued to the top case, if you pull it you will damage it! The only option now is to drill a hole on the side at your own risk.Warranty void.

TheUntalentedOne

Quote from: 96max5sp on March 08, 2018, 01:59:37 PM

The Drumit 3 has 4 less outputs unfortunately, as you can't use the headphone outs as direct outs. This makes no sense to me ............................unless there is a more powerful module coming and 2box doesn't want the 3 eating into it's sales

edtc

Quote from: TheUntalentedOne on March 08, 2018, 07:23:27 PM
The Drumit 3 has 4 less outputs unfortunately, as you can't use the headphone outs as direct outs. This makes no sense to me ............................unless there is a more powerful module coming and 2box doesn't want the 3 eating into it's sales

you cant use phones output as direct outs , but you can use them for a stereo mix of cymbals + hihat ... then you can have a stereo mix of the toms on out 3+4 , kick on 1 and snare on 2 ...

Walse

Quote from: edtc on March 08, 2018, 09:20:17 PM
you cant use phones output as direct outs , but you can use them for a stereo mix of cymbals + hihat ... then you can have a stereo mix of the toms on out 3+4 , kick on 1 and snare on 2 ...

But phones output would also include the sound from the other pads, not only from cymbals. Isn't it?

ANGR77

Quote from: Thiof on March 06, 2018, 10:51:58 PM
Hello again,
By the way, i have a question before i purchase this module.
Can I use input A & B of a cymbal simultaneously ? Input A a dual zone crash and input B single zone splash ?
Can I use 2 different toms ( head trigger only) on one input ? That could free a tom input for other cymbals ..
Basically I would like to trigger 1 kick, 1 Snare, 1 HH, 4 toms, 1 ride (3 zones) 2 crashes ( 2 zones) 1 splash and 1 china both mono zone

Thanks

1. No you can’t use A & B inputs at the same time. (But you gave me an idea here...)
2. Yes, you can split a dual Tom input to two separate single zone Toms.
3. I am using a similar setup...but I use the Tom 4 input with a split cable to trigger a single zone China and a single zone cowbell trigger. (The rest of the 3 Toms are dual triggers)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

edtc

Quote from: Walse on March 09, 2018, 12:28:57 AM
But phones output would also include the sound from the other pads, not only from cymbals. Isn't it?

No it isn't... the mixer in the module allows you to remove instruments from the mix , without affecting the direct outs volume ...  That s true with the D5 , should be the same with the D3 ... :)

Walse

Quote from: edtc on March 09, 2018, 07:24:36 AM
No it isn't... the mixer in the module allows you to remove instruments from the mix , without affecting the direct outs volume ...  That s true with the D5 , should be the same with the D3 ... :)

Interesting! So from the practical point of view, We can consider that 2box Three module has 6 outputs.

TheUntalentedOne

Quote from: edtc on March 08, 2018, 09:20:17 PM

Edtc, that is perfect if true  :rock:  However, Jman says it can't be done and there's no work around and 2Box via email said you can't either.

I now understand that the headphones aren't direct outs but this is a work around if true .  Can this be officially cleared up please ?

Edit:  So is this correct? ................... Go into the mixer section and turn volume of kick, snare and toms OFF. Leave hats and cymbals as they are so that only the hats/cymbals come out of the headphone jack in stereo.
Then send Kick to Bus 1, Snare to Bus 2 and Toms to Bus 3-4. Cymbals and hat not sent to a Bus.

Jman

Quote from: TheUntalentedOne on March 09, 2018, 02:11:51 PM
Edtc, that is perfect if true  :rock:  However, Jman says it can't be done and there's no work around and 2Box via email said you can't either.

I now understand that the headphones aren't direct outs but this is a work around if true .  Can this be officially cleared up please ?

Edit:  So is this correct? ................... Go into the mixer section and turn volume of kick, snare and toms OFF. Leave hats and cymbals as they are so that only the hats/cymbals come out of the headphone jack in stereo.
Then send Kick to Bus 1, Snare to Bus 2 and Toms to Bus 3-4. Cymbals and hat not sent to a Bus.

It is a good idea..... Headphone outs can't be used as Direct Outs, but Ed's idea is a good one, which I hadn't thought of. He will be able to verify, but I don't think there will be a problem.

Thiof

Quote from: ANGR77 on March 09, 2018, 04:43:17 AM
1. No you can’t use A & B inputs at the same time. (But you gave me an idea here...)
2. Yes, you can split a dual Tom input to two separate single zone Toms.
3. I am using a similar setup...but I use the Tom 4 input with a split cable to trigger a single zone China and a single zone cowbell trigger. (The rest of the 3 Toms are dual triggers)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

What idea ? I'm curious.
Is my setup can be achieve with a drum it 3 ? and how ? kick, Snare, HH, ride 3 zones, 4 toms, 2 crashes dual zone, 1 china and 1 splash both mono zone
thanks

Jman

Quote from: Thiof on March 09, 2018, 10:15:32 PM
What idea ? I'm curious.
Is my setup can be achieve with a drum it 3 ? and how ? kick, Snare, HH, ride 3 zones, 4 toms, 2 crashes dual zone, 1 china and 1 splash both mono zone
thanks
Your Ride and Crashes are already taken care of by the Cymbal inputs of the 2Box which can be assigned as 3 zone or 2 zone. The way to add the splash and China is to split a couple Tom inputs. All 4 or the tom inputs are splittable with a common splitter like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP117--hosa-ypp-117-6-inch
So with that instead of having the rim sound on a tom you will have only the head sound but it leaves the rim open to adding your single zone cymbals. The way I would split is to leave all 4 of your toms on the tom inputs 1-4. And use a splitter on 2 of the toms for the Splash and China. That way the toms all have the correct sound assigned to them ...... which means less redoing of the sounds ..... but on the 2 toms you split you will choose the correct splash or China sound from the instruments in the module ...... Many of us have been doing that on the Drumit Five for many years.