News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Recommended Cables - UK

Started by AndyMo, March 16, 2017, 05:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyMo

Hi,

At a recent rehearsal, I had some triggering issues that I resolved by swapping cables around.

I think it might be time to invest in some new cables (this is the second faulty cable).

Any recommendations on cables, available in the UK?

Thanks!
Andy

Coda

AndyMo

It's been a while, but I should be able to to.

Do you have some tips on making cables?

That might be interesting as I could then make the cables to size.

Thanks!
Andy

edtc

no rocket science here ... just normal stereo jacks and good microphone or stereo cable ... 

You solder tip to tip , ring to ring and sleeve to sleeve .

For the bass drum , even if the trigger is mono , use a stereo cable for it ...

Coda

Quote from: edtc on March 20, 2017, 12:13:22 PM
For the bass drum , even if the trigger is mono , use a stereo cable for it ...
If you are using DIY kick drum (i.e. not the 2box kick), I recommend using a stereo plug on the module side but a mono plug on the kick drum side, and then cut the ring cable short at the drum side without soldering it to anything, because there is a current on the ring which is designed to light up the logo on the older 2box bass drums. There is another thread (at least one) about that.
Other than that, yes it's a simple case to make cables, as edtc said, stereo plugs, stereo cable. I bought cables and plugs from Thomann, because they had a nice thin twin-core coax that was reasonably priced. 2 years after assembling/disassembling my drums every week or so, no cable has yet failed.
For the connections at the pads I make my own right-angled plugs. I solder the cable then bend the sleeve (the ground) connector at 90 degrees, then I use a hot-glue gun to enclose the connections in hot glue (you can use different colours for different pads :) ). It obviates the need to source expensive right-angled stereo plugs which are not too bulky.

AndyMo

Thank you very much for the advice Coda and edtc!

mattchuk

hi ,still having no joy with my 2box ,have down loaded editor .and down loaded sounds from 2box still can not get sounds on my mod,brought a roland td10 out of desperation just to get some new sounds not a patch on 2box feel and sounds.is it worth taking to computer i.t dude or drum shop.as not p.c savvy at all.need step by step guide.followed 2 box guide made no sense..try contacting 2box no joy there.even thought of buying a new module.bit disheartening knowing im not getting best out of it.

AndyMo

Sorry to hear you are still having problems.

Is you 2Box module modified - with the card extender, etc.?

Mine is unmodified, If yours is unmodified, I will write up how I get mine working in case that helps.

If you have a modified module, I think you'll need someone with a modified module to provide some support/recommendations.

If you are in the UK, HandInHand may be able to help if the module needs a repair, etc.

Cheers,
Andy

mattchuk

hi .i dont think it is modified def no external sd card reader i bought it 2nd hand so not sure if modified inside ??? many thanks

AndyMo

Hi,

So can you use the module with the current loaded sounds - and the problem is loading new sounds?

Cheers,
Andy

mattchuk

yes the sounds are totaly fine using module as stand alone unit.plugs in fine in usb mode to laptop.can edit kits via 2box editor with sounds only on module fine.
its when i down load sound from 2box site ,then what to do with them and how 2 get to wok with them.
as i said im not the best with p.c and tec
thanks 4 your patience.

Deve Loper

Hi. Hold top left button above display down, power on. Connect USB cable to PC. DrumIt appears as external drive. Drag and drop sound files to any folder you like. Disconnect USB cable. Restart DrumIt. Choose the downloaded sound on  the Kit-Drum page.
That should work.

mattchuk

yea tried that many times how do i open the files ,in drumit edit ?and thats where i can,t access the files.

AndyMo

I don't have access to my kit at the moment but if I remember correctly, the files on the 2Box website are zipped. So you need to unzip the files to a suitable folder on your PC so you can see the <sample_name>.dsdn file(s). You should then be able to load and assign the sound to the relevant kit and pad using the Editor.

Does that help?

mattchuk

yes very helpful.as ziped file always comes up i'll give that a go ,
thank you