News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland hihat and snare pad, the latter to trigger 2box via midi.

Started by welshsteve, March 15, 2017, 10:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshsteve

This might be an odd one for you all to help me with. But here's my thoughts.
2box module main pluses for me.
1. Sounds. Unlimited.
2. Small
3. Not expensive.
4. Easy to use.
Cons.
1. poop triggering. But mostly manigable.
2. Crappy hihat
3. Latency when many pads are played.
4. Lack of trigger inputs.

When triggering a live snare with a Mylar head, rim shot (every 2 and 4 beat for me) is inconsistent. You hear flams between head and rim and sometimes what I can only call "spikes" in the output of snare. Like it's triggering the snare and rim twice each at a slightly higher amplitude. Have checked this with other sounds and you can hear a "phasing" of the sample. No amount of adjusting mask time or any other settings prevents this.

So was contemplating getting a Roland brain (td 15 going cheap on eBay) with a vh12, maybe something for the ride too, and plugging that into mix in of 2box module.

That covers hat issue and frees up and input.
Triggering a snare drum via midi (Roland to 2box) with a mesh head with a Roland trigger (or similar) As the Roland td15  does do a decent rim shot. Obviously having no sound on the Roland module as to not get a mash up.

Would that work? Or am I setting myself up for more hassle. I can't try this stuff out unless I buy it all so would like a heads up if I'm off.

Maybe I'd still have latency issues via midi? Is the 2box having issues with plaguing the sound and triggering at the same time or is it just trying to play the sound is what's a problem.

I don't wanna be forking out thousands on a new module set up so trying to have work arounds. I still love the module but I do have gripes with it which I wish they'd fix.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

welshsteve

Update.

So I bit the bullet and bough a SH TD11 and Jobeky hat controller. I have played for 2 days on it with both hats side by side to AB test them. And to be honest, it's NOT an improvement on the 2box hat function, which isn't perfect, but works for the most part fine. I can get a tighter sound on the roland hat but the transition between open and closed cannot be adjusted (like it can if I was using the VH-11 controller with that screw below the clutch) and so I have to adjust my foot movements a little to get the desired effect.
I do like the feel of the Jobeky hats though, very natural with just a little more noise than a rubber hihat.

The main advantage is that I now have a spare input on the 2box as well as a load more on the roland, so not sure if I am gonna sell on just yet. I am gigging this weekend and will use the both modules to get a clear opinion.

Coda

I'm going Gen16 soon just because of the hi-hat, although a choke-able swell-able crash would be nice too :D

I have had issues with the Snare triggering but I have put it down to my DIY solution. After remaking the trigger several different ways, I have found one that works quite well. Not perfect, but good enough until I can revisit it. I might order one of Jman's new triggers or a Triggera.

BTW - I don't know if one can use that spare hat input for anything else than hats.

redbull26

Quote from: Coda on March 30, 2017, 07:08:46 AM
I'm going Gen16 soon just because of the hi-hat, although a choke-able swell-able crash would be nice too :D

I have had issues with the Snare triggering but I have put it down to my DIY solution. After remaking the trigger several different ways, I have found one that works quite well. Not perfect, but good enough until I can revisit it. I might order one of Jman's new triggers or a Triggera.

BTW - I don't know if one can use that spare hat input for anything else than hats.

Not sure which hats your using now - but have you considered going the Zildjan L80 route with Jman's trigger + HH control box?

Coda

Quote from: redbull26 on March 30, 2017, 01:34:37 PM
Not sure which hats your using now - but have you considered going the Zildjan L80 route with Jman's trigger + HH control box?
I use Meinl 13" acoustic hats with Jman's trigger. I use a different HH control box which is practically the same thing (2box cymbal controller relocated from the cymbal to the box under the pedal).
Although it's sufficed for what I do, I've never been 100% happy with it. Not that there's an issue with Jman's trigger (although I did have big problems from the start, which was eventually fixed with a replacement edge trigger Jman kindly sent me free of charge), but more with the playability, and trustability during live work.
Probably most of the thousands of 2boxers are happy with either the stock 2box hat, or the replacement box. But I also started to pine for more playability with my hats and cymbals (chokes, weird hits, swells etc) because I find e-cymbals in general extremely limiting, artistically.

welshsteve

Quote from: Coda on March 30, 2017, 07:08:46 AM

I used mine as a second kick. Most of the trigger algorithms are there so select on that channel. Worked a charm!