News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

No sound for 3 or 4 seconds

Started by newmod, February 21, 2017, 04:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newmod

When I do a drum solo and hit a lot of toms and cymbals, The module acts like it turns off then back on again. I have 4 crashes, China, HiHat and Ride. I have a splitter on tom 1,2 and 4 for the additional cymbals.

Tonight is the first night this has happened.

welshsteve

Can you replicate it at home? At first glance it seems that you have A LOT of very large sound files being played at once and the module simply cannot cope. There is a polyphony with the module (though I am not sure what that number is) But I noticed this a long time ago when you hit the crash on the ride channel and then follow it with a roll straight afterwards on the bow, you'll hear the crash sound get cut off. I am gonna guess the polyphony is maybe 50 or something.
I have never had your particular problem happen to me though, but I do get latency sometimes when playing hihat pedal on 8th notes, lots of broken 16th's on ride, ghosting on snare and broken 16th on kick drum, at fast-ish tempos, yeah, and that's WELL annoying.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

newmod

This happened last night in the studio. The Latency happens first, then it goes silent. then 3 seconds later it turns turns back on. Is this polyphony an adjustment? The setting I'm on is Kit 1. I have the Jman 32G extender. Everything seem to work good until last night.

welshsteve

Not having the 32g card expansion myself I cannot comment. But I have heard other people mention about having the right type of card. Jman is the person best to ask about it. You could probably send him a private message.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

digitalDrummer

Quote from: newmod on February 21, 2017, 11:34:13 AM
I have the Jman 32G extender. Everything seem to work good until last night.
This sounds like a card issue. Have you checked your card on the compatibility list?

Murgen

Might also be a power supply issue ... is the electricity okay or flickering lights where you play?
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

The 32GB card was working flawlessly for 2 years. This occurred recently after he made some changes in OS, files, etc. So, I recommended wiping the card and reloading the card back to default and test from there.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Deve Loper

Hi. Just as info, an extender will always make the signal transitions worse. Very likely outside the sd card specification. So certain cards may work anyway, others most of the time, some hardly. No guarantees at all. Best is having the card in the pcb slot, so a cutout in the metal housing is best.

digitalDrummer

Quote from: Deve Loper on February 23, 2017, 07:41:21 PM
Hi. Just as info, an extender will always make the signal transitions worse. Very likely outside the sd card specification. So certain cards may work anyway, others most of the time, some hardly. No guarantees at all. Best is having the card in the pcb slot, so a cutout in the metal housing is best.
Can you show us what that looks like?

edtc

Deve Loper

Get your tools out and drill / mill a slot like this. The rubbery thing is to "extend" the card since it normally sits all the way inside. Ps. not my mod, I think from someone on this forum.

Jman

Just to chime in here. With the right extender and card combination it certainly will work with no latency problems with the 2Box module. I know of more than 100 out there that are working with no problems. I have owned 3 different modules myself and used my extender and card combination for about 7 years now with perfect results. Not to dispute Deve's info ...... The emphasis being on the Right extender and card combo. 

Also, even with a slot in the module, not just any SD card will work without latency problems. Just saying .....
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

newmod

Thank you all for the replies. I am using the 4G card for the moment with the extender and it works fine again.  I have 2box plugged midi to Logic, so 32G is not needed right now.

ANGR77

HI!

Just wanted to add two hints when discovering latency on 2box.

1. Don't play with your system set to the unit mode. Always be in the kit mode. Shows in OS1.3.
2. Check the trigger settings. A cymbal with piezo/switch which have got wrong settings like piezo/piezo using a Pad12 etc...occasionally just stops for 1-3 seconds. On my unit...

The extender cables can be cut...however you needs some skills and experince to do it. I do believe a half meter cable will actually do bad to the data transfer of the SD card. 

Just to confuse you all with the selection of SD cards...my best 32 GB card is a SanDisk SDHC card with a class 4 spec....

Best regards

Anders Gronlund / www.zourman.com / Premium Roland hi-hat conversion modules for 2box
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Coda

To add, the routing of that long extender cable inside the box can affect your triggering. I was experience ghost triggers on my ride until I opened up my unit and relocated the extender cable more carefully - away from the trigger inputs. Secured with duct tape.