News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Downgrading from the 2box

Started by Ryanbell44, February 06, 2017, 11:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryanbell44

Hey guys I've decided I want to start using superior drummer for my samples.
And whilst I'm aware I can use midi with the 2box module I was thinking about selling the module for a cheaper one (to get some pennies)
Does anyone have any recommendations?
What issues will I run in to?
I currently just use the module but my kit consists of Roland and jobeky pads and cymbals.

edtc

not sure you gonna spare money , as you ll have to get a fast soundcard to achieve low latency ...

Also you ll have to be carefull to buy a module that has low latency Trigger to MIDI (or usb ) interface .
For example  ALESIS Trigger I/O when used with Midi plugs , has almost 9 millisec of latency ... In usb it's better (around 5ms ...)   Other modules will have different latencies ...

To those milliseconds  you ll have to add the latency of your software + the soundcard latency ( Aka buffersize) + 1ms for D/A conversion ...

Even if all your gears are high end , it s hard to go under the 7/9 ms  . 10 ms is unplayable , especially for fast tempos ... It s like someone is holding you as you want to maintain speed  ...

The variety of sounds provided by VST may be impressive , but the playability of an E-drum is much more crucial IMO ... Maybe you should try to experiment with Superior drummer via MIDI with your 2box module , to really see if the latency is ok for you . Try to play long , and on fast tempos with 16th hihat paterns ....

For example , our 2BOX module has a latency of 4ms (from pad hit to sound out ) it s quite fast but noticeable to me .

Also , as soon as you want to play , hit power , sit down , put your phones and blam , your are able to play in less than 10 seconds ...

With vst , you have to plug your computer , start it ,power your soundcard , plug the MIDI/usb , start your DAW , recall your session with VST drums ....

If you gig , you have a computer and a soundcard to plug and  carry ...

And if you want vst sounds , you can render them as DSOUNDS and drop them in the module

You ll sell your 2BOX for 550â,¬ , if you want a decent Roland module you'll have to pay around 200/400â,¬ second hand , a really fast USB(RME or nothing) or thunderbolt soundcard is minimum 500â,¬ second hand  ...

It s your money and your choice , those are just my 2 cents ( of euro ) :)

Ryanbell44

This is the exact reason I asked!
All round bad idea then lol
Thanks for the lengthy reply.
I don't really understand how to get more kits on the module.
I downloaded the free ones on from the 2box website and I'm happy with the drums it's just the cymbals (particularly the ride) I'm unhappy with.

edtc

have a look here: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1544.0.html

SDSE is a software developped  by one forum member (Lustar). The purpose is to automate the process from a drum VST kit to a 2BOX Dsound kit ...

The 4 gb memory of the module may be full if you added new sounds .. So you'll have to delete some that you dont use , or make the 32GB card mod ... Some have added a sdcard extender , so you can instal a larger SDcard , access it and swap with other cards if needed .

Only restriction is :
- You cant access the module via "USB mode" anymore
- All SDcards wont work properly , you have to chose a class 10 one , there are some topics here where people recommend some models ...

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1445.msg25956.html#msg25956

have a nice day

edtc

Quote from: Ryanbell44 on February 07, 2017, 07:31:41 AM
  it's just the cymbals (particularly the ride) I'm unhappy with.

I agree that HH and ride arent as expressive as the rest of the kit ... Personnaly , i use a real HH and a real ride from the Zildjian Low volume serie ... and i love them ...

newmod

I know this post is a month old, I was gonna sell my 2Box too and get something less expensive for midi. 2box can be challenging for midi, especially with Hats. But, I was able to figure it out and I am so glad I did not sell the 2box module.
I am using Logic Pro with MacBook Pro. I have used both Roland UM-1 and Steinberg 2 channel interface with zero latency.

Plus I did not realize that the unit setting in 2box are adjustable when using midi.