News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hi Hat Input Connection

Started by AndyMo, January 27, 2017, 04:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyMo

Probably a stupid question...

The hi hat input on my module does not feel as 'sure' as other inputs. When plugging a cable into other inputs, there is a definite soft click when the plug clicks home. With the hi hat input, the connection seems 'softer'.

I often have to fiddle with the connection to get the hi hat to work properly - and if the module is on, you can hear it click home and trigger the hi hat.

I have tried different cables to confirm it is the connection. I wonder if this might be the root of my hi hat issues and rogue triggers.

Is it possible to change input connectors (maybe swap input connectors to test whether it is faulty)?

Is it possible to use other input channels for the hi hat (I assume not as I know Jman for example uses a second module for a second hi hat)?

How difficult is it to replace a connection? Has anyone had to repair a connection?

I expect the correct approach is to send the unit to the UK distributor, Hand in Hand, for repair. I emailed them today and am waiting for confirmation.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

welshsteve

I am not sure, but I think only the HiHat channel can be hihat trigger. Although that channel can also be other trigger types, none of the others can be set to hihat.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

ANGR77

The hi-hat input can only be used for the hi-hat...it is not possible to run it on any other input channel.
This channel feeds power for the hihat electronics in the 2box hi-hat.

I am not completly sure and understand what you experince for kind of problems above...does the hi-hat trigger randomly?

Normally, if connect and disconnecting the hi-hat cable it will trigger a hi-hat sound.

A question of curiosity...is your 2box module mechanically connected to your hi-hat stand? (E.g...have you mounted the module on the HH stand)

Best regards

Angr77 / www.zourman.com / hi-hat conversion kits for 2box.
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

AndyMo

Thanks for confirming.

I get rogue triggers - usually foot splash. The module isn't mounted. I use Jobeky shells with 2box cymbals and hi hat. The hi hat is mounted on a regular hi hat stand. The 2box module usually sits on my monitor nex to me.

I wondered if I could try other inputs to try to help isolate the fault - but that doesn't appear possible. I've tried different settings, different hi hat stands - so now it's really down to either the hi hat pad or the module.

I will continue to experiment, until I source another cymbal and purchase a Jman trigger and box.

I'm concerned about purchasing anything until I have isolated the fault. If it is the input/module, I might not have many options but seek someone to repair the unit.

Thanks!
Andy

ANGR77

Hi!

Do you get these splash triggering if the hi-hat is unconnected and no hi-hat input is connected to the module?

If it triggers without the hi-hat attached...I would suspect the module.

If it randomly triggers with the 2box hi-hat attached...you could suspect the hi-hat electronics...like the Hall effect sensor/circuit gone bad. Have happened before....seems to be a weak part in the construction.

Best Regards

Angr77  / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Jman

As ANGR77 suggests there are a couple different scenarios. One obscure problem that has only been reported a few times is random triggering of sounds when a pad is not being hit, or even connected to the module. I have experienced that personally on one module. In that case it actually turned out that at least one of the inputs on the module was "hotter" than it should be, in this case the Cym3 input ...... which would have meant servicing the module. When discussing it with Bengt he said "I suspect a wrong resistor/ capacitor value on the cymb3 input channel. Service!" ...... However .... when I went through all the trigger parameters on the module and made sure none of the input Gain settings were over +12 .... the problem ceased. I had another member email me citing the same problem and after reducing the Gain settings like mentioned his problem stopped also. For original 2Box pads you would normally never have the Gain setting that high. So this is normally only noticed by people using "other" brand pads or "DIY" pads .....

This may not be your problem, but I thought I would post this here just in case it is .... or for others to see in the future. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

AndyMo

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Just to confirm, I only get rogue trggers when the hi hat is connected and when I am playing the kit. I get additional (loud) triggers.

It is intermittent but at a rehearsal not so long ago it got so bad I stopped using the kit live and took out my acoustic kit instead.

However, I want to try to rectify the issue as I have played e kits live for many years and the pros still outweigh the cons.

I will double check the settings, etc.

Thanks again for all your help.

- Andy