News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What Sample Packs or Libraries Do You Recommend?

Started by AndyMo, January 12, 2017, 03:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sn47som

Quote from: DeraldPrice on January 18, 2017, 04:48:54 PM
Very interesting. Does the mid boost, high/low suppression happen when samples are converted to dsnd or does it happen in the module itself? If it's the latter, I would think I could line in my laptop to the module, tweak the EQ in software and export to get the desired result.

If not, then it's Lustark to the rescue. I will just have to use the dkit manager to set the EQ levels for each imported kit.

Thats the thing you can't do that. I strongly believe the eq changes during the import to the module not the sdse export. Unfortunately we cant change or control this unless you change the circuitry in the module.

sn47som

Quote from: AndyMo on January 20, 2017, 11:31:58 AM
Thank you very much for all the info.

A couple of follow up questions.

I assume if I get the Deluxe version, I can take advantage of some of the variants - like the big snare sound (with room mics, etc.) - but may expect some mid range boost when loaded on the module. Or should I just go for the clean files and EQ/effect in the module or editor?

And it sounds like I should check out the tool developed by Luster - for speeding up the process of creating sounds and kits?

Thanks,
Andy

Actually your only option to get a better sound, unless you like a boxy sound, is to eq your samples onboard the module. No matter what sample you mix/edit pre import, post import it will sound very boxy (and shitty for the most part; even if you got it sounding amazing pre import, exported to dsnd and all, it will sound shitty in the module in comparison to your daw or source. Only thing you can do is eq the samples on the module post import. In the end, its more time and work shaping your desired sound but its actually the best way as you have quite a bit of control over the sound of the samples. At the same time, definitely a little disappointed in this as you put so much time and effort into mixing pre import then it just sounds like ass in comparison when its on the module as it adds all the mids back that you just spent time cutting and perfecting beforehand.) You have to eq again in the module just to get it sounding good  ....again.

sn47som

Quote from: AndyMo on January 16, 2017, 01:10:29 PM
Thanks for confirming.

Do you add the required effects (assuming you EQ or add effects) to the clean sounds, then load them on  to your 2box? If so, what do you use to edit. Or do you just load the clean sounds and apply what you want using the 2box editor?

Thanks,
Andy

The simplest thing to do is make dsnds' out of the wav files and import them to the module and eq them in the module. No need for additional effects or processing to these samples. They are recorded and mixed very well from the creators. All they need are a little eq on the module and they're good to go!!

sn47som

The Ben Phillips pack has amazing crashes and snares!! The crack beauty snare (BIG version) practically sounds like it was pulled straight from John Bonham's kit!! I have tried 100+ snares and this one is my favorite. It sounds so good. I have tried lots of cymbals too and these are my favorite crashes, especially the 19"

Deve Loper

Hi. Just a lttle info. The frequency response of the module is flat. Only the headphone out might color the sound depending on the load impedance. This is because it has a series resistor to match different impedances for the same power. However, headphones do present varying impedance at different frequencies, and can thus color the sound.
So try with a single layer sine wave dsnd at say 50, 500, 5k and check the level on the line outs when triggering it with the front panel button. They should be equal. Or even simpler, download a wav file ripped straight from a cd and play it on the module as accompaniment. It should sound the same.
Best, Deve.

sn47som

Nice, it's not just using headphones. Its flat no matter how it's outputted. I run a big loud speaker.

espen

Quote from: Deve Loper on January 30, 2017, 07:20:04 PM
Hi. Just a lttle info. The frequency response of the module is flat. Only the headphone out might color the sound depending on the load impedance. This is because it has a series resistor to match different impedances for the same power. However, headphones do present varying impedance at different frequencies, and can thus color the sound.
So try with a single layer sine wave dsnd at say 50, 500, 5k and check the level on the line outs when triggering it with the front panel button. They should be equal. Or even simpler, download a wav file ripped straight from a cd and play it on the module as accompaniment. It should sound the same.
Best, Deve.

Ok. This really confirms my findings. When listening straight from headphone out the home-created dsnds sound boxy but when outputting them via direct outs to soundcard and using soundcards headphone out everything is fine. Thanks Deve!

Btw, I have ATH-M50 headphones

sn47som

Quote from: StudioG4 on January 18, 2017, 11:10:39 PM
I completely agree but wouldn't this affect the 2box factory samples? Some of the samples are very useable (to me anyway). It would be really productive, now that we know the shortcomings of the module (i.e. the module's EQ midrange boost), if the samples we convert would somehow take this sonic manipulation into effect and compensate for the module?
Lustar, I really don't want to complicate your already above and beyond excellent project, but something to think about if it is even possible.

Tony G

It does affect all factory samples too as I mentioned before. It flattens any sample you put into it. Whether its factory or imported, all the samples are flat. All the factory samples need to be eq'd too. They sound much better after eqing especially the X Shells!!

I dont think this has anything to do with the sdse program so Lustar wouldn't have a hand in compensating for the flat sounds. The factory sounds are flat too very flat. We believe its the modules circuitry. But its not necessarily a bad concept if this is what the developers and designers had in mind intentionally; which gives the end user more control over the sound with the on board eq. The end user is supposed to shape the sound it appears, which ultimately is the best way to do it. Either leave it flat or eq to taste.

AndyMo

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

I need to experiment with EQ in the module!

As a bit of a side note, I am considering buying a mixer so I can EQ outputs separately as my powered PA monitor has very limited capability. However, I know realise I can improve the source by spending some time tweaking EQ on the module first. I still like the idea of quick EQ options at gigs, so a small mixer might be handy. I'll have to search the forum for suggestions (my local store stock/recommend Allen and Heath mixers).

Thanks,
Andy

makoki

Just if it helps, I'm using a very basic Berhinger mixer with 4 XLR + 2 stereo line inputs, with some effects board. I use to wire bass drum on 1 XLR, snare to another, cymbals another and HH to the last XLR, them top toms on 1 line, flor tom on the other line (both mono). Total 6 module outputs (needs some tweaking on outputs configuration).

From mixer to main desk adding some reverb mainly on snare and bass drum (depends on the site condition). Monitoring is done with the headphones output to which I add some line in from the main desk (also depends on site situation, but at least one send with vocals).

Can tell you people gets atonished about the drums sound quality. We use a pair of Yammies DXR15 for FOH, and simple QTXSound for drum monitoring (kind of cheap EON clone). Yammies have a very good bass response for moderate audiences (some restaurant shows with about 100 people asking to reduce sound pressure to avoid chest crash...). I prefer monitoring to headphones because of better back line feedback for the group, more natural response when added to the FOH.

In addition, I use to send some line to main monitors just for additional feedback to singer ang guitars.

AndyMo

A mixer sounds like a great addition to my set up.

I use a Yamaha DXR15 as my monitor (and main, where I can't go through the PA and playing in small venues).

Thanks for all the advice.

- Andy

wildhorse5678

I bought the full Nirz pack, cos I wasn't sure what I would be missing.... But concur with what's been said, you pay extra for kit templates for Daws and of the ones listed I only had Ableton live and didn't intend using them in a Daw just convert to dsnd.  Looks like I paid a lot more for stuff I didn't need.  I like the sounds though and have added a load to my drumitfive unit.

AndyMo

It's good to hear you are pleased with your purchase. I intend to buy the library too.

Thanks!
Andy