News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What Sample Packs or Libraries Do You Recommend?

Started by AndyMo, January 12, 2017, 03:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyMo

Hi,

I have been using my 2box module for a few years. So far, I have only really used the stock sounds (plus a couple of effects samples - and a few of the newer samples released on the 2box site).

It really is time to expand and experiment!

I appreciate this is all very subjective but what are the best sample packs and libraries - and can anyone share demos, etc., to showcase recommended samples?

I play in a function band, playing pop, indie, rock, dance/disco, 80s, etc. - so need some versatile sounds.

Thanks!
Andy

sn47som

dude i posted this a few months ago! these are the best of the best libraries out there (+ eyal levis expansion for drum forge i'll need to add this to the list as its just came out

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,3456.0.html

DeraldPrice

I recently picked up the Nir Z Icons set from That Sound and I love them The cymbals a pretty limited but the kits are amazing.

AndyMo

Hi,

Thank you both for your help and advice.

I didn't appreciate there are quite so many options.

The Nir Z Icons looks like a good starting point; not too expensive, sound great and will give me some experience of loading excellent samples on to my 2box.

https://www.iwantthatsound.com/product/icons-nirz-jeffjuliano/

Which pack would be ideal. I'm not sure what Deluxe gives me over Standard for my purposes? I think the benefits of the Deluxe version are more applicable to using the library with specific DAW packages?

Thanks!
Andy

DeraldPrice

You are correct. Deluxe and Standard are the same except that Deluxe has all the DAW presents. I personally bought the clean set only as it was the sound I was looking for.

AndyMo

Thanks for confirming.

Do you add the required effects (assuming you EQ or add effects) to the clean sounds, then load them on  to your 2box? If so, what do you use to edit. Or do you just load the clean sounds and apply what you want using the 2box editor?

Thanks,
Andy

DeraldPrice

I loaded the samples in the 2box software directly. But they are a little flat out of the gate. I do need to go back and EQ them a little and reload.

sn47som

Quote from: DeraldPrice on January 16, 2017, 03:50:08 PM
I loaded the samples in the 2box software directly. But they are a little flat out of the gate. I do need to go back and EQ them a little and reload.

Ya this is the only downside to importing samples. The module adds mids and flattens out any sound you put in it. Even if it is sounding exactly how you want it pre import. Post import the samples will be more flat with boosted mids. Just use the onboard eq, cut the mids completely and boost the highs and they will sound great. No need to go back and mix differently pre import as the module will screw up your pre import mix. I've been doing this for the past year and half almost daily. The quickest way is to just keep the samples you put onboard and eq them now onboard. cut all the mids boost the highs. you can bypass the eq to a-b it and you'll really notice the difference. you can enable the eq individually to each pad or disable it so there is quite a bit of freedom to customize the sound onboard. The only problem is that you cant customize eq settings on each individual pad. all pads either get the same eq or dont get an eq. definitely a downside...

DeraldPrice

Very interesting. Does the mid boost, high/low suppression happen when samples are converted to dsnd or does it happen in the module itself? If it's the latter, I would think I could line in my laptop to the module, tweak the EQ in software and export to get the desired result.

If not, then it's Lustark to the rescue. I will just have to use the dkit manager to set the EQ levels for each imported kit.

StudioG4

I completely agree but wouldn't this affect the 2box factory samples? Some of the samples are very useable (to me anyway). It would be really productive, now that we know the shortcomings of the module (i.e. the module's EQ midrange boost), if the samples we convert would somehow take this sonic manipulation into effect and compensate for the module?
Lustar, I really don't want to complicate your already above and beyond excellent project, but something to think about if it is even possible.

Tony G

sn47som

Quote from: DeraldPrice on January 12, 2017, 06:21:35 PM
I recently picked up the Nir Z Icons set from That Sound and I love them The cymbals a pretty limited but the kits are amazing.

Ya the pack sounds incredible. Get the Ben Philips pack the crashes sound amazing.

DeraldPrice

AndyMo

Thank you very much for all the info.

A couple of follow up questions.

I assume if I get the Deluxe version, I can take advantage of some of the variants - like the big snare sound (with room mics, etc.) - but may expect some mid range boost when loaded on the module. Or should I just go for the clean files and EQ/effect in the module or editor?

And it sounds like I should check out the tool developed by Luster - for speeding up the process of creating sounds and kits?

Thanks,
Andy

DeraldPrice

You should not need the deluxe package unless you want all the DAW presents. I bought the Nir Z Clean package and it came with the Dry, Big, Natural, Overheads, Room 1 and Room 2 sample sets. An amazing deal for $35!

AndyMo

Thanks for confirming. It seems like a very good price and excellent quality samples!