News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

European Power Supply Needed

Started by Perico, November 25, 2016, 09:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perico

Hi 2box community!
I've just moved from Canada to France with my Drumit5.
Is the Drumit5 110V-220V compatible?
If so I would prefer to buy a new European power supply than a US to Europe power adapter, but I don't know which one to buy here in France.
Can someone help me with this?
Thanks!

ANGR77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Perico

Thanks for the link!
Now I just need to be sure that the Drumit5 is really 110-220V compatible. I still have the original box and in the bottom there are 2 check boxes printed on it, one labeled 115V and the other one 220V but both are unchecked. I guess that means it should work for both Voltage.
Can someone confirm?

Jman

Quote from: Perico on November 26, 2016, 12:19:58 AM
Thanks for the link!
Now I just need to be sure that the Drumit5 is really 110-220V compatible. I still have the original box and in the bottom there are 2 check boxes printed on it, one labeled 115V and the other one 220V but both are unchecked. I guess that means it should work for both Voltage.
Can someone confirm?
It is the same module whether it is sold in Europe or the US, or anywhere else. The only difference is the Power adapter that they ship with it. The adapter reduces the voltage to 18 volts before it goes into the module. So you just need a new 2Box Europe style adapter, specs required for the 2Box power supply are 18VAC 500MA.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Perico

Ok thanks ANGR77 and Jman! I'm gonna by the european adapter from Thomann!
Happy drumming!

ANGR77

:D

A story from Bengt(owner of 2box) is why in hell the 2box using an AC adaptor? (which has AC on the secondary side...when 99% of all PSUs have the electronics built in to convert to DC - a power type used by 100% of CPUs, circuits etc...)

According to Bengt...Mr Deve Loper got a mission to hit a certain price point for the costs of the 2box module so the story is that a AC PSU is about a 2-3 dollars cheaper compared to a DC PSU ...that's is the reason!

Have a nice weekend!

Best Regards

Angr77 / http://www.zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

welshsteve

When I broke my original PSU (frayed cable) I bough an AC/AC adaptor from Maplin (an Electronics chain in UK) and it worked fine until the other arrived. I made sure that it supplied 18v and the correct amount of amps for the unit to work. But unless someone could tell me a reason why this isn't a good idea, it might save you some money, though not a massive amount.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

geo

That makes very little sense. Any cost saving (especially at such a small margin ($2-3)) will immediately be eaten up by the components to do on-board AC-DC conversion, plus the heat generated is now inside your non-vented enclosure instead of on the brick, so your product's reliability/longevity takes a hit, leading to reduced sales after the complaints come in... No doubt the same reasoning was behind using a USB1.1 controller and not having USB MIDI. (But of course it's hard to judge without having heard the full story...)

ANGR77

The story above was Bengts (from 2009) according to other sources (!) the selection of the AC/AC PSU, was the only way to get the right positive/negative level of power. Today, it is not even allowed to ship such a PSU within the EU. All PSUs nowadays needs to be of the AC/DC type.

Best Regards

Anders / http://www.zourman.com

fishmonkey

Quote from: geo on December 02, 2016, 07:34:44 PM
plus the heat generated is now inside your non-vented enclosure instead of on the brick

actually the AC-AC adapter itself is also relatively inefficient, and generates a fair bit of heat, even when the module itself is switched off...