News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

VST experience so far

Started by sn47som, October 24, 2016, 05:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sn47som

Hey guys just a few thoughts on the best sounding and best playing sample libraries I've heard over the past 2 years. I have heard studio drummer, abbey road collections libraries, analogue drums libraries, superior drummer 1, superior drummer 2 with many of the expansion packs, e nerd kits, drumasonic 2, drumasonic luxury, bfd2, bfd3, that sound nir z icons, that sound paul maybury drums, that sound ben phillips drums, that sound darren king drums, SSD4 platinum, CLA, Blackbird, addictive drums 2 and ezdrummer. I may be missing a couple but we get the jist...

UPDATED 3/6/2017

The greatest overall production and product(s) go to BFD3 (stock library, amongst other expansions), Barresi's Evil Drums and glamouflage kit, Chocolate Audio The Black Album Drums and Drumasonic Luxury. Below I go into more detail in no particular order:

BFD3- *Tons of articulations, great kicks especially the processed ones, great cymbals, THE BEST hi hat no other even comes close playability, realism and sound wise (Paiste), great toms, okay snares- bfd3 takes some mixing skills to get things sounding amazing so if you're somewhat experienced with effects these samples are really tough to beat.

Chocolate Audio Black Album Drums- *Tons of articulations. Great kicks, great snares, huge toms, great cymbals/hihat. Tons of awesome presets ready to go. All around fantastic library.

Get Good Drums- great kicks, good cymbals (awesome hihat), good toms, amazing snare- almost no mixing required, sound great right out of the box.

Drumasonic Luxury- takes some mixing skill for best results- vast array of presets, good kicks, good toms, good cymbals, THE BEST AND BIGGEST snares!!, as well as drumasonic 2 for snares!

the rest of the vsts I mentioned at the top are just meh in comparison but still sound good for the money.

Here are some useful links related to the topic and unrelated. I use ninite all the time- it has a lot of well organized useful freeware and that we all use and need for our computers. Its just a really handy site that downloads and installs the software of your choosing in the background for you and its gloriously ad and spam free!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZq6RekyRzs

https://ninite.com/

nocturnodrummer

Hey. Could you explain the difference between drumasonic 2 and luxury? Are those based on the same samples? Or are those entirely different kits?

espen

Quote from: nocturnodrummer on October 24, 2016, 07:32:15 PM
Hey. Could you explain the difference between drumasonic 2 and luxury? Are those based on the same samples? Or are those entirely different kits?

I can answer as I have both. They have completely different instruments. The UI is same though. If you choose just one take Luxury. Drumasonic 2 has only two snares and two kicks with larger amount of velocity layers. The rest have too few IMO. Luxury has plenty of layers for all instruments.

sn47som

Ya definitely take Luxury over 1 and 2. Luxury sounds the best and has very good potential if willing to spend some time mixing the kit. They are different samples but pretty positive 2 and Luxury both use designer kick, toms and snare as well as a usa brand snare according to Daniel Scholtz. Luxury has a better recording, the kit sounds a lot better and there are a ton more presets to work with. Its night and day from 1 and 2. The room mics sound really great on the snares. Its a really good vst..... if only it had the recording quality and plug ins of bfd 3 it would be the best sounding drum vst on the market. Nonetheless, luxury is a very good production just not bfd 3.