News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Ride goes silent after being hit

Started by hesca, October 10, 2016, 03:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hesca

Hello fellas!

I was playing a beat this morning, when the ride stopped working. Kinda.
It reacts when I hit it but, then it immediately goes silent... like if I grabbed the border of the cymbal. Did I break it?

I restarted the module, no good. Went to "unit" and tweaked the settings to see if any parameters somehow jumped while I was playing... no good (i returned the settings where they were).

What can this be?

Jman

If the cymbal has a constant choke. First check you cable, plug it in and out a couple times from cymbal and module to be sure it is plugged in all the way. Switch cables just to be sure the problem is not the cable itself. But, the most common cause for continuous choke is a bent tong on the cymbal edge. See this thread:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,2348.msg20260.html#msg20260
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

sn47som

Its really extremely odd that this type of thing would just happen at a moments notice. Check your decay setting for the ride, maybe it got turned way down.

hesca

This is so weird...

Well, I checked the cable, but it was plugged in properly. I took off the rubber cover, and did notice some of the metal teeth on the border of the cymbal, that were unevenly close to the "choke" plate. So I gently pushed some of the metal teeth back in place.

I restarted the module, and the ride works properly, but only when I hit the body of the cymbal with the tip of the stick. When I hit the border of the cymbal.. there is no sound. But there used to be.  ???

Im not a drummer, but I think it should be possible to hit the border of the ride cymbal to get a crash-like sound.... am I right?

Any ideas?

(oh and forgive my weird use of drum language, as I said Im not a drummer, and also, not a native english speaker)

welshsteve

Quote from: hesca on October 10, 2016, 03:36:48 PM
Hello fellas!

I was playing a beat this morning, when the ride stopped working. Kinda.
It reacts when I hit it but, then it immediately goes silent... like if I grabbed the border of the cymbal. Did I break it?

I restarted the module, no good. Went to "unit" and tweaked the settings to see if any parameters somehow jumped while I was playing... no good (i returned the settings where they were).

What can this be?

I had this when I had a faulty cable. One I made myself no doubt. That'll teach me. When I used one of the cables that came with the kit it was fine.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

AndyMo

I experienced similar issues. It was slightly intermittent and at a rehearsal. I switched around cymbals, inputs and cables. It was a faulty cable.

I also had triggering problems when the rubber ring around the edge of the metal plate (that helps prevent the outer rubber splitting) came adrift and got caught under some of the 'fins'. Refitting the o ring fixed the issue. 

BTW, any recommendations for gig-worthy cables? I think it might be time to invest in some new cables ahead of gigging again with my 2box.

Thanks!

hesca

Quote from: AndyMo on October 19, 2016, 09:42:04 AM
I also had triggering problems when the rubber ring around the edge of the metal plate (that helps prevent the outer rubber splitting) came adrift and got caught under some of the 'fins'. Refitting the o ring fixed the issue. 

Thanks!

Actually this was the issue, in my case. The rubber ring got loose. By putting it back, the issue went away.

But now I can´t shake the feeling that these cymbals aren't as rugged as I thought they´d be. I mean, they´re built to be hit thousands of times... why does this happen? Im hitting them at a 30 degree angle just as it says in the manual...

Any thoughts?

AndyMo

I had to purchase replacement rubber cymbal covers as they split (I don't bash the hell out of them either). The good news is of my three cymbals only two covers split. The third (additional) cymbal I purchased had the o-ring which offers much more protection. When I purchased the new covers, I also got o-rings for the cymbals. I'm hoping this will give them all more life. Of course, it is three o-rings that may potentially come adrift. I check them before each gig (they tend to come adrift during transit for me, rather than when playing). I keep meaning to check out other options (acoustic conversion with Jman triggers, Gen16, go hybrid perhaps with real cymbals, etc.).

welshsteve

i glued my o-ring on after getting sick of it coming off in transit!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

ANGR77

I have had problems occasionally when transporting the 2box cymbals and hi-hat...the plastic ring fell off. I had recently  the opportunity to visit Bengt at 2box and he showed a newer version of the hi-hat and the cymbals...where the plastic ring was secured in another way. I think these versions have been shipping for some time...

So I am guessing that the problem will not show up on the new versions of 2box gears.

Best regards

Angr77 / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com