News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Spring from clamp has come out

Started by Skinnyinny, October 09, 2016, 10:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skinnyinny

Hi

I have set up my new 2box today 😀 I decided to move the brain from the left to the right. When I undid the nut with the drum key, the spring that lines the receiving hole in the clamp came out with the nut. Anyone any idea how to get it back in or had a similar issue?

Cheers

welshsteve

I had the same thing with the kick drum pad plate which holds it to the rack... Couldn't get it back in, and because the spring got buckled trying, it was useless to even try after. My dad (who's clever with metal  :rock:... not that kind, actual Metal)  he put an Aluminium bush into it and cut a new thread. But that didn't hold, it would turn inside when tensioned up. So he did something else (could explain but you'd need pic) and it's holding fine now. The major difference here is that on the kick drum plate is one thing, on the module, it's another all together.
I don't know what to suggest.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Skinnyinny

Dad and metal is exactly what I was thinking after I buckled the spring.

At the moment my temporary fix is a longer bolt with the spring screwed onto the end after its been through the clamp. Not ideal. I notice my bass drum plate one is going the same way :-\

Will keep thinking. Thanks for the reply

sddon

Hey guys, my kick plate did the same but fortunately it was under warranty. As far as i know the spring is called a Helicoil.  That is a generic name. Sometimes called a screw thread insert. Usually used in soft metal to stop the thread stripping or to repair a stripped thread. There are kits available on line to repair them.
Hope this helps a bit if you try to repair it.

Skinnyinny

Awesome thanks. Just knowing what to search for helped as I can see that there are repair kits available. I contacted the retailer that i bought the ex demo kit from and they had no hesitation in sending a new clamp. So if I get hold of a repair kit I have an  extra clamp to fill with ride cymbal  :rock:

Thanks so much for the input.

Cheers