News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Double triggering on cymbals/hats

Started by welshsteve, September 28, 2016, 12:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshsteve

Hey guys,
I finally started gigging the full kit recently, used the brain to trigger from acoustic drums on a few tours but never the entire kit. And I thought I'd ask something that's bugged me a little since I have had it (4 years now)
Doesn't anyone else find even at 0 gain on the 14" cymbal inputs still too hot? I am getting the bell sound on the bow when I don't want and I am not hitting that hard.
Also, I have found I occasionally get a very close "flam" on single hits on the ride and hats. It's so close you can hard notice, but having recorded midi many times I can confirm it's there. Mask time doesn't seem to fix it, even at high settings.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

edtc

did you try to raise the threshold , and play with different velocity curves ?

welshsteve

Yeah raised threashold, changed curves, seems to not affect it. Just going with it. Would be interesting if it's the same with other brand Triggers. Like Jman's stealth trigger.

Jman

Quote from: welshsteve on September 30, 2016, 04:04:37 PM
Yeah raised threashold, changed curves, seems to not affect it. Just going with it. Would be interesting if it's the same with other brand Triggers. Like Jman's stealth trigger.
There is a large amount of "head room" on my 3 zone cymbal triggers. Generally the Gain will be set to between 8 and 13. But it really sounds like you might have a loose piezo, or connection on that 2Box Ride cymbal. That does not sound right at all. The default setting for a 2Box cymbal is Type Cym14, Gain 4, and Threshold -40. This is what the cymbal connections look like under the jack box. If you are feeling adventurous you might open yours up and take a look to see if anything looks awry:
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

welshsteve

Yeah I had a look, no lose wires. One of the cymbal pads are new. As for default gain, I find even at 0 gain it's a little too hot as I am getting bell on the bow at Medium/hard hits. I know it works on velocity and so the bow will give the bell at very hard hits, but I get it way before then and the gain is at 0.