Controlling the HI hat with an other module+standard pedal via MIDI ? Possible ?

Started by edtc, January 17, 2011, 01:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edtc

We know that Drumit5 brain uses another system for controling the hihat that is not compatible with "standard" hihat pedals design  ...like this one :

Did anybody try to use another drum module , lets say a cheap Roland td3+pedal  to control opening via midi ...? Triggering would still be done by the HIHAT input of the 2box module.

Do you think it will be still possible to have the EDGE/BOW sound ? ( naturally with a 2 box cymbal , but also with any cymbal which has a  piezo and a side swich :)...)   and what about the "tchick" and "foot splash" sounds ?

IMO it is feasible but i never had oportunity to try it ...

It could be a good trick for people who prefers a non moving hihat with a standard pedal , or diy kits .... and also get some extra pad inputs to control whatever they need ...

have a nice day ....

edtc

... I tried to experience this :

Today I hooked a midi keyboard on MIDI IN and use the MODULATION WHEEL to  OPEN/CLOSE the hi hat sound (It s using the same MIDI controller,CC1, than another drum module with a pedal would do )...   it worked for open/close but not for foot chick and splash.

.. only issue is that if you hit the edge of the cymbal , it sort of resets the "position" and an open sound is played ... if yo move a bit the MOD WHEEL , sound comes back to the "closed" sample...

Then ,if you use a mono pad , this issue is fixed , but still no "tchick" and "foot splash" , and of course , no EDGE/BOW ...

So that works , but with a lot of limitations ... but maybe someone knows how to improve this ...

;)