News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Tip for Trigit, mesh head on a snare drum.

Started by welshsteve, July 18, 2016, 11:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshsteve

OK so like I said in an earlier thread, my 12" is Kaput and needs repair (pending bits from 2box which are taking ages for them to sort out!!!) So having a spare 12" mesh head, 12" soprano drum and a bunch of trig it triggers, I decided to use all that instead. So after set up, here's what I found were problems.

Mesh head needs to be tightened (so hoop is really low) so much that the trigit mounts but the rim sensor doesn't pick up because it's not touching the hoop.

Loosen it up so it touches, mesh head feels as loose as a fat whore's minge!

Other problems, double triggering. Raise the mask time, no double triggering but forget about rolls and flams.

So, Solutions.

First I cut an old used 12" head off its hoop and placed just the hoop on top of the mesh hoop as a spacer. Then I cut a small piece of towel up to mute the mesh head. Tip for anyone doing this is to assemble it on the floor facing down. Drum hoop first with lug screws in, spacer hoop next, mesh head then cut out piece of towel next laid across the diameter of the mesh head, place the drum on next lining up the lug screws to the lugs enough to keep the towel in place. Place upright and tighten up drum head.

At first you'll notice the drum hoop is a lot higher above the playing surface then normal, because of the spacer. But if the mesh head is as slack as mine, you can tighten right up enough to make it look normal. The mesh head will be super tight, super muted and with the trigit will play perfectly without any mask time needed. I'd include a pic but it's not so easy to do on here.

Any questions, hit me up here!

Steve
Modify message
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!