News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Playing to backing tracks

Started by soultone, July 17, 2016, 04:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soultone

Hey guys how are we all?
A newbie question for you .....I want to play along to some drumless tracks in MP3 or direct from YT or similar, I have a cheapie Behringer mixer to give the mix a bit more EQ....but I am still finding the output from the 2box to be way too harsh and difficult to mix in to be usable.
I just have it going to the mixer from the phones out... and use the main mix out from the mixer.
Am I approaching it the wrong way, or do I need to splash out on some higher end mixing gear?
Thanks for this forum  guys, and any help much appreciated.

edtc

try to use the line level out 1&2 ,   the headphone out maybe to "hot" for a line level . Mostly on an entry level mixer . 

IMO you are distorting the input on the hardware mixer , or your levels in the modules internal mixer are set to hi ...

welshsteve

Yep, I agree! Either use out 1+2 or turn down the headphone output with the master volume control.
Alternatively, you could plug what you're using for MP3 play back in to the AUX in and do away with the behringer mixer.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

mday

This is how I do it:

Suitable drumless tracks in mp3 on computer.

Audacity for playback & recording.

Stereo out on 3 & 4 to mixer (your Behringer would work here). As others have said don't use the phones out.

Suitable connection from mixer to computer for playback & recording.

Mixer then outputs to suitable powered speakers. I also use a Behringer MA400 Micromon headphone amplifier from mixer to headphones for monitoring.

There are some free drum-less tracks available but also some excellent paid for cover versions on http://www.karaoke-version.com/

Audacity is free for Windows, Mac & Linux available here: http://www.audacityteam.org/

As an alternative to a headphone amplifier you could use the headphone out on the mixer; or output from mixer to line-in on the brain & use the headphones out. I use the amp as it gives more control especially for monitoring when playing live.

soultone

Thanks for the advice everyone!......
I didnt realise the issues with the phones out hotness....im guessing the output from 3& 4 will be easier to mix. I have just ordered a suitable cable for the job, so with luck should be mixing like a man posessed by the weekend!....now lets look for some more drumless tracks..

edtc

Quote from: soultone on July 21, 2016, 07:11:59 PM
....im guessing the output from 3& 4 will be easier to mix. I have just ordered a suitable cable for the job, so with luck should be mixing like a man posessed by the weekend!....now lets look for some more drumless tracks..

you wont be able to get the modules MIX output from OUT3/4 .  It s 1/2 or headphone out .