News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

BDF3... Wow!

Started by shimy1984, June 24, 2016, 02:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shimy1984

So, I've been a long time Superior Drummer 2 and Slate Drums 4 user and they have served me extremely well over the years with my day to day recording needs.

Recently, I began my journey with the 2box and began the fun process of creating my own kits and dsnds.. Fun stuff with amazing results. As far as drums, rides, and hi hats go, both of these libraries do a fantastic job and give you beautiful options.

When it comes to cymbals, however, SD2 only provides a single hit type (edge) and SSD4 provides two (bow, edge). This left me in wanting so I decided to seek out new options.

After some consideration, I decided upon BDF3 because it gives all of the articulations for every piece of the kit (more specifically cymbals) that I desired... and man... I feel I've really been missing out.

BDF3 feels like a perfect combination of SD2 and SSD4, only it is way more powerful then both of them.

I love it!

Anyway, just had to share my joy with you dudes.

:animal:

Jman

Yes, BFD3 is great! By the way, the Zildjian Digital Vault cymbals (expansion packs for BFD3) also have Bell, Bow, Edge for almost every cymbal, even some splashes and Chinas. John Emrich did the sampling/recoding for both BFD3 and the Zildjian Digital Vault expansions.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

shimy1984

Yes sir. That is next on my "to get" list.

Coda

I second that. BTW - Most BFD3 expansion packs are half price right now, summer sale... If I had a spare $75 I'd have bought the Zildjian pack already.

sn47som

Yes bfd 3 pretty much smokes all other vsts/libraries. The samples need some mixing for best results but no contest- no. 1 vst- but the snares kinda suck!

zobeltek

Hey Folks,
I have never messed with sampling or other studio type DAW stuff, just a live drummer that triggers my kit via 2box and ddrum4. But as my ears...and rest of body is aging...I'm leaning more towards all mesh and trigger live kit.

Forgive me for asking newbie level questions, but what kind of work is involved in loading these samples into my 2box? 
I see Voxengo and BFD3 on a few of these threads.  I am guessing/hoping that they're in wav format already in proper dynamic format? i.e.: are they ready to load in to the sound editor and make new dsnd sounds?

I must admit that the demos from both of the sources mentioned are great sounding. Some of the BFD demos I listened to on their site are impressive.

I'd really like to have a few more kits on my 2box as I've really only settled on a handful with the factory and other sounds that came on my 32G card upgrade. Thanks J...

Maybe I missed the thread/threads with more of this discussion, if so can you link me there?

I have no idea how to even begin with superior drummer, slate, or any other.  Would Voxengo or BFD3 be easier?  You guys that have spent hours and days doing this please point me in the right direction.

Kind Regards, Scott.

sn47som

I will help a brother out for sure as I know the time and work it takes that needs to be put in to come out with incredible sounding samples. Not to put you off to the process it really doesnt take much time to export samples from a vst and copy them into your module. The time spender is the mixing of the samples, deciding which samples you want, getting the levels just right in the vst getting all your effects right and getting them sounding exactly how you want them to in the vst first. This is key because the module adds some mids to any sample you put into it. So Mix the samples as best you can in the vst first and cut out a lot of the mids with effects in the vst first, then export and copy them into the module. Youll still need to cut some mids out in the module after you copy them over. The onboard eq works well and makes a considerable imporvement of the sounds.

What you'll need:

Purchase SDSE from Denis (Lustar on here)
Purchase BFD 3

Denis could help you with the basic install of sdse and java along with dsoundtool. He can show you how to export a sample. It is painstakingly easy!! Exporting a sample with sdse from a vst is the best way by far to put samples into the module.